1985 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Edward J

1985 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by Edward J »

Decanted 4 hours. Cork came out clean, lots of sediment. 60% opaque and a bit thin. Nose was perfumed with strawberry fruit and a touch of spirit. On the palate it was clear that 4 hours was not enough time and I waited another hour to take notes. It had picked up a bit of weight but reminded me more of a Warre's than a Fonseca. It had a elegance about it, while not fragile it seemed a bit delicate, strawberry/ cherry giving way to leather wood. The finish was long and very dry with a noticeable bit of unresolved tannins. I have a hard time speculating where this one will end up, but I think I'll wait at least a year before I open up another one. The second day, not a lot had changed except it was rounded out a bit. A different style to me, but delicious. 92pts
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1985 Gould Campbell VP

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'd probably put GC somewhere in the middle of the road style wise. Not feminine and not a brawny monster. But it does age quite well and I'm bummed this label has seemingly been relegated to the waste bin after SFE's acquisition of Cockburn's.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:I'd probably put GC somewhere in the middle of the road style wise. Not feminine and not a brawny monster. But it does age quite well and I'm bummed this label has seemingly been relegated to the waste bin after SFE's acquisition of Cockburn's.
I totally agree. I really enjoy both Gould Campbell and Smith Woodhouse and I would hate to see any of the 2 houses being phased out.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I remember this vintage as pretty rich in style. I have a case, but haven't had a bottle in a long time. One of the best of the vintage IMO.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I don't think Smith Woodhouse is going away, but alas poor Martinez.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk