1995 Taylor Vargellas Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Monique Heinemans.

1995 Taylor Vargellas Vintage Port

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

Had this over several days and it was drinking very well.
The cork came out in one piece, about 1 cm saturated. The colour is rubyred, almost no bricking at the rim. Very nice nose, on the palate a lot of fruit, milkchocolate, grapefruit and mint (after eight), very well integrated spirit and a good aftertaste. The second day even better, round and velvety, dark chocolate, orange, soft tannines and a long aftertaste. I've had the 1996 Fonseca Guimaraens about two weeks ago and I think this one is softer, more round in the mouth, but less complex.
Really nice SQVP, lovely port to drink now!
Moses Botbol

Re: 1995 Taylor Vargellas

Post by Moses Botbol »

They use to practically give away this vintage... I use to buy for like $25... Will have to dig one up and give it a try! Thanks.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Kurt Wieneke

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

Hi Monique,
I have been saving one of these in hopes it would come around. Sounds like it did. I had the '95 Fonseca Guimaraens about a year ago, and it was good, but had upside (got better over several days).
John M.

Post by John M. »

We had a tasting of 1995s last year and your notes are similar to mine. The Fonseca rated about the same by the group but the Taylor was just a tiny bit better. The ones that rocked it were the Grahams Malvedos and the Ferreira.
Any Port in a storm!
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

I've just bought a 6-pack of Graham's Malvedos 1995 last week, so will try one in the following weeks.
I think the 1995 and 1996 SQVP's are drinking really nice at the moment.