1987 Kopke Quinta Sao Luiz Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Monique Heinemans.

1987 Kopke Quinta Sao Luiz Vintage Port

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

Opened this morning. Cork came out in two pieces, cork was about 1 cm saturated.
Poured some out in a glass to let some air in. Tasted it after 6 hours.
The colour is a bit pale, redbrownisch, totaly transparent. The nose is like caramel. Also the palate is very sweet with a lot of caramel and brown sugar. There is some freshness too and some very sweet fruit (strawberry?), not very complex, even a bit thin. This looks, smells and tastes more like a tawny.
Hmmm...I do prefer VP over tawny's a lot, so this is not my lucky day I guess. Imho past it's peak.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1987 Kopke quinta Sao Luiz VP

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bummer. This was quite a good year, and arguably, should have been declared.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

I still do have some bottles of 1987 Taylor's Vargellas, Fonseca Guimaraens and Graham's Malvedos in my cellar. I had all of them in the last two or three years and they showed way better.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I've had this Port before and it was much better than what you describe. I can only suggest that your bottle may have been off, or slightly damaged in some way over the years. It sounds like it's oxidized to me, but if the cork was only 1 cm saturated it probably wasn't a bad cork.

:(
Glenn Elliott