1978 Quinta do Noval vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Jasper A.

1978 Quinta do Noval vintage port

Post by Jasper A. »

I bought some bottles of the Noval 1978 this summer for a good price. The seller had some bad looking bottles so I chose the one without leaking problems.

This Friday I opened my first. I choose to decant 3 hours in advance, I think a ½ hour extra would have been brilliant.
Opening the bottle it gave red fresh fruit and a alcohol smell. That disappeared during the decant.
Pouring the port in to the decanter the port looked a bit light coloured, but once the bottled was emptied it had more colour.

So after 3 hours we started drinking. The port reminded me a lot of a 40 year old Burgundy wine I drank this year. Lots of fresh red fruit on the nose and in the mouth, really vibrant and young. There was some complexity in the mouth and the aftertaste had an oke length. This tells me that this port won’t get better over time. So drink now or within the next years.
So overall the freshness surprised me, but I needed more complexity and strength to give a higher score. 91/100
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1978 Quinta do Noval vintage port

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks for the report on a VP that is not often seen, nor even heard about. It is a step up from the 1985.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com