1997 Quinta do Crasto Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1997 Quinta do Crasto Colheita Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Other than older Constantino Ports, this is the first Colheita released under the Quinta do Crasto name in modern times. Many on FTLOP have seen these casks aging in their cellars during visits and we've waited patiently many years for them to finally bottle it. That time has come. It should be hitting the shelves right about now or soon, depending on what market you're in.

Bottled in 2016. The color is a redish brown and more typical of traditional "Portuguese" styled Tawny Ports of this age. Lots of baked rhubarb, candied pralines, orange zest, and molasses on the nose. The palate is deceptively light at first sip, then a big wave of acidity kicks in and the complexity quickly starts to build. There is a slight sweetness to it that is amazingly balanced by that acidity. That combination makes this very easy to keep sipping and sipping it without the mouth getting tired, as often happens with Tawny's that are overtly sweet. There is still a touch of fruit to this, which is no surprise given the good year it came from and no doubt why Crasto made us all wait many years. No shortage of toffee, maple bar, and wisps of brown sugar in the mouth are the intro to the long finish. The finish also has just a touch of tannins still left that don't detract at all, in fact they help balance the overall mouth feel at this stage. I must say this is a fantastic, and still young, Colheita. I do hope they held some back for later releases, as good as this is now it can only get better with more barrel age.
92 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jasper A.

Re: 1997 Quinta do Crasto Colheita Port

Post by Jasper A. »

Nice review Andy, i could not agree more!
I have this port at home permenantly if I fancy a little Colheita port. I will not bore you.