2011 Quinta do Crasto LBV

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

2011 Quinta do Crasto LBV

Post by John M. »

Tasted over several days, the first decant was for 3 hours. Dense and viscous purple, lots of blackberry aromas. The standard Crasto grass/rhubarb taste on the first day (I can never pin point the exact flavor but every Crasto LBV has it and is their signature). Blackberry compote with future hints of tar. Tannic finish. Should age well. This seems so nicely integrated. By day 2 and 3, this port has mellowed; jam packed with intense flavor---blackberries always there, dark grapes, hints of chocolate; the weight is high. At the end the tannins come out so the finish is quick. This is an easy, robust sipper; I had the last glass with a nice steak and it paired so well. This is the best Crasto LBV I've had.

92 Points +
Any Port in a storm!
Jasper A.

Re: 2011 Quinta do Crasto LBV

Post by Jasper A. »

After seeing a lot of good reviews, like yours, i opened a bottled this weekend. Indeed an amazing LBV, gives the vintage quality.
I give it 93/100.
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

A friend of mine served me a bottle of the 2006 Crasto LBV and very fine it was too. Apart from that bottle I haven't seen any in my town which is a shame really. I can't recall when the the '06 was bottled but am noticing that more and more producers have dropped the bottling vintage from their LBVs. Does the '11 Craso have a bottling year?

Mahmoud.
John M.

Post by John M. »

I will look for bottling year as I have several left. Funny you should mention--I just picked up a 2010 Pocas LBV---no bottling year.

Too bad you cannot get Crasto LBVs...I can get a case for $16-$19/bottle in a case and considering how good they are a great QPR.
Any Port in a storm!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I need to find them in Texas, they've been a go to everywhere else I've lived

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:A friend of mine served me a bottle of the 2006 Crasto LBV and very fine it was too. Apart from that bottle I haven't seen any in my town which is a shame really. I can't recall when the the '06 was bottled but am noticing that more and more producers have dropped the bottling vintage from their LBVs. Does the '11 Craso have a bottling year?

Mahmoud.
They do, but they are not mentioned on the bottle.

If you look at the tech sheet, you see august 2015
http://quintadocrasto.pt/wp-content/upl ... V_2011.pdf
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I'm convinced that every bottle of wine has a bottling date. However, tech notes notwithstanding, I think it is unfortunate that the custom (or requirement) to put it on the label may be changing. As a consumer I would want to know without having to resort to going to the producer's website, if indeed all of them have it. I hope that Crusted Port doesn't follow the same path.