1994 Warre's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John Sel

1994 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by John Sel »

Bright dark red with a blackish core and slight paleness at the rim where there is definite attenuation. At 2 hours: on the nose there is deep dark fruit (my wife suggests chocolate and raisins), but not a lot of top notes. Quite intense mouthfilling flavour on the palate where the quality of fruit is striking, as is the excellent balance of the fruit, acidity and tannin. Very harmonious, accessible and easy to like at this stage. Not an infant by any means, but still with a youthful freshness to the fruit flavour. Day 2: I'm getting a bit more complexity on the nose now with some suggestion of the typical Warre florality over the dark, spicy notes which include a hint of treacle. Less obviously rose-like, though, than, say, the 1977. The palate has darkened slightly. Day 3: Still evolving and becoming more ethereal on the nose where hints of menthol are starting to emerge. The youthful fruit on the palate is giving way to classic dark vintage port flavours- so long and harmonious. This is a wine of real substance with the potential to evolve, certainly in the medium term, and possibly beyond. My experience of Warre only goes back to the 1970, which I remember as a fine wine. I would say that the 1994 is the finest Warre since that, weightier and richer than any of the intervening vintage years. For me the Dow 1994 has the edge in terms of future potential, but the Warre is immensely pleasurable. 95 points.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1994 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by David Spriggs »

Thanks for the tasting note! I liked the 1994 Warre's on release, but didn't love it. This Port has really surprised me and now I love it. [cheers.gif]
I'll also agree with what you mentioned about Dow's. It's a bruiser!