1980 Gould Campbell vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1980 Gould Campbell vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

7 hrs decanting. Dark red colour with a touch of brown. Pleasant aroma of fruit with some oak, old humid cellar and raisins. Full body. Powerful and elegant at start. Fresh style with nice tannins. Plenty fruit, blackcurrant, raisins, tiny bit alcohol. Nice balance acidity/sweetness. Good structure. Long aftertaste. 92 pts.
Thomas V

Re: 1980 Gould Campbell vintage port

Post by Thomas V »

What is your impression of further potential for this GC 80? I just recently bought a case and have yet to taste it.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Thomas V wrote:What is your impression of further potential for this GC 80? I just recently bought a case and have yet to taste it.
Just discovered I had a case of this as well! I remember drinking it like 5-6 years ago and thought it was solid. I believe the 83 & 85 are better.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Thomas V wrote:What is your impression of further potential for this GC 80? I just recently bought a case and have yet to taste it.
Just discovered I had a case of this as well! I remember drinking it like 5-6 years ago and thought it was solid. I believe the 83 & 85 are better.
That is also how I see the rankings of GC in the 80's. Luckily I also have a case of GC 85' as well while the 83' keeps alluding me.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Thomas V wrote:...while the 83' keeps alluding me.
Same here. Was too slow to buy when there were ex cellar bottles available a few years ago from Rare Wine Co.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

I agree with Moses that 83 and 85 are better, but not that much.
Like several other 1980s they have a better development the last 5-8 years than many port lovers expected from this vintage.
In our house the remaining GC 80 (6 bottles) will probably be consumed over the next couple of years.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Thanks Rune. Good to know. I have quite a few bottles and half bottles. I'll start drinking now [cheers.gif]