1996 Quinta do Vesuvio vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1996 Quinta do Vesuvio vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

Had this vintage at the 2016 FTLOP Harvest Tour at Vesuvio and liked the status. Decided then to try one from our cellar for the first time in neaarly 3 years.

6 hrs decanting which was probably a bit too long. Drinking window ended up to be abt 2 hrs. Dark burgundy colour with a touch of brown. Deep complex aroma of blackcurrant, wet cellar and wet wood. Full body. Very smooth and also powerful at start. Lots of fruit, hints of marzipan, sharper towards the end with the minerals. Long fruit aftertaste. A very nice 20 year old vintage port. Considered one more point, but ended at 93 pts.
Thomas V

Re: 1996 Quinta do Vesuvio vintage port

Post by Thomas V »

Good note Rune.

I had it just 2 weeks ago at a tasting in my club. It was decanted for a bit longer than yours at 8 hours, but our scores a very close. I think it is in a very nice drinking state at the moment. What do your reckon?

My note:
This Vesuvio was delicious and elegant as ever. Is drinking well now though still has room for improvements. Not the best year from the Quinta but a good solid wine that is fairly mature for its age. Some nice strawberry flavours and preserved fruits. Quite jammy. Also a bit of Douro bake character as well. 92 points with slight room for improvement.
Rune EG

Re: 1996 Quinta do Vesuvio vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

Hi Thomas!
Fully agree.
Purchased a case of both 1995 and 1996 at Berry Bros in London 20 years and have waited a long time for them to develop.
I like the 96 the way it is at the moment.

Will soon open also a 1995 and post tasting note.