NV S. Leonardo 20 Year Old Tawny Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

NV S. Leonardo 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by Glenn E. »

One of 4 that I picked up during the Mourao buying opportunity to help fill my cases. I checked the TNDB and surprisingly I don't have any TNs posted for this Port, so figured I'd better get one in. :lol:

S. Leonardo 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Color: Medium tawny color with lots of orange, both in tints and in highlights.

Nose: Confectioner's sugar, some "bite" like orange marmalade, and some ripe apricot. Also some vanilla, but it's faint.

Palate: Very smooth and creamy on entry. The initial impression is almost too sweet - the confectioner's sugar from the nose carries over here - but that is quickly tossed out and the Port's power and elegance show through. Good acidity, but it seems slightly overpowered by the sugar in this instance. The flavors are predominantly light caramel, butterscotch, ripe apricot, and possibly marzipan.

Finish: One of the hallmarks of this Port, at least to me, as it is very long and pleasant. There's a hint of heat to back up the slowing fading flavors from the palate. The tail resolves as tart apple skin.

Score: 92 points. I toyed with one more point, but this particular bottle seems just slightly out of balance acidity-wise from past experiences. Nevertheless, another excellent offering from Quinta do Mourao.
Glenn Elliott
Rune EG

Re: NV S. Leonardo 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by Rune EG »

We seem to have the same opinion Glenn.
When drinking this 20 year old Mourao lately, we end up at either 92 or 93 pts.