2011 Taylor Fladgate LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

2011 Taylor Fladgate LBV Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Found at my local Trader Joe's for $18, so why not. Opened last night and thought I'd see how it may or may not have changed almost 24 hours later. Typical dark purple one would expect. Slight tankiness which was surprising, lavender, and plums on the nose. Soft tannins and fresh berries start out what then changes into denser chalkier tannins and more black fruit and mocha. There was some spirit protruding on day one which is now integrated and gone, leaving a much better balanced Port. A nice, albeit somewhat short, finish rounds out a decent filtered LBV.
87 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Peter Handel

Re: 2011 Taylor Fladgate LBV Port

Post by Peter Handel »

Picked some up from TJ's as well after reading your post. Had high hopes as 2011 was such a stunning year for port, but this wine really left me disappointed - no discernible tannin structure to counterbalance the heavy fruit, resulting in a very monotonous mouthfeel. Comparing this with the Dow's 2011 LBV, the Dow's seems to be miles ahead, with its nice structure and acid balance lending lots of interest.

I tried both Dow's LBV and Taylor's LBV a few years ago as well (from the 2006 or 2007 vintage) and the results were exactly opposite - the Dow's LBV was lacking (no tannins iirc), and the Taylor LBV shone wonderfully.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Peter Handel wrote:Picked some up from TJ's as well after reading your post. Had high hopes as 2011 was such a stunning year for port, but this wine really left me disappointed - no discernible tannin structure to counterbalance the heavy fruit, resulting in a very monotonous mouthfeel. Comparing this with the Dow's 2011 LBV, the Dow's seems to be miles ahead, with its nice structure and acid balance lending lots of interest.

I tried both Dow's LBV and Taylor's LBV a few years ago as well (from the 2006 or 2007 vintage) and the results were exactly opposite - the Dow's LBV was lacking (no tannins iirc), and the Taylor LBV shone wonderfully.
This is definitely not up par with the sorta-legendary 2003 Taylor's LBV, which was a rock star when it came out. And I seemed to get more tannins on this one than you. Not a stellar LBV, but a decent one at the price point. I've had the Dow's once, but need to look at my notes later as I don't recall how it was off the top of my head.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I have had it 3 times now and I also must admit that this is a underwhelming LBV for me also. I just find it sweet without any spice & freshness to counterbalance. I have it at a 87 points.

One thing though, after having opened it and kept it in my fridge for I think 4-5 days, it actually got far better by aprox 1-2 points. See if yours will undergo that change as well?
Peter Handel

Post by Peter Handel »

Still blah at 24 hours, minuscule hint at 48 hours, but no hopes for a rapid transformation to potability :-)
Seriously, I just looked at the bottle, and I've had almost none, and am thinking of how to get rid of it. Got any port-based recipes?
I'll stick it in the fridge before attempting anything drastic.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Peter Handel wrote:Still blah at 24 hours, minuscule hint at 48 hours, but no hopes for a rapid transformation to potability :-)
Seriously, I just looked at the bottle, and I've had almost none, and am thinking of how to get rid of it. Got any port-based recipes?
I'll stick it in the fridge before attempting anything drastic.
Give it a weeks time and re-taste. Fingers crossed [beg.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Port reduction sauce with mushrooms. Use mushrooms on a nice aged steak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter Handel

Post by Peter Handel »

At 72 hours, it improved ever so slightly. Still not good, but quaffable; I get the sense this will be it's peak.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:This is definitely not up par with the sorta-legendary 2003 Taylor's LBV, which was a rock star when it came out.
I agree. It's a solid LBV and a reasonable value at its price point, but nothing like the semi-legendary 2003.
Glenn Elliott
Peter Handel

Post by Peter Handel »

OT, but has anyone had the 2011 Dow's LBV? How does that compare with the '03 Taylor LBV?
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Peter Handel wrote:OT, but has anyone had the 2011 Dow's LBV? How does that compare with the '03 Taylor LBV?
I have not had the 03' Taylor's LBV but have tried the 2011 Dow's LBV a couple of times. Here is my note of the latter. I will add that it is not in my top 5 over 2011 LBV's.
Condition: Served at around 17 degrees Celsius, bottled in 2016

Color: Opaque and purplish red color

Nose: Very nice nose with distinct violets and black current. This is really filled with aromas. Think I spent 3-5 minutes just smelling this LBV

Note: Fruit bomb with cherries and boysenberries hit you right away. The sweetness is counterbalanced by the dryness and brash tannins. According to Gustavo Devesas this will not gain much extra from storage as it will hit a plateau within 2-3 years, it is ready to drink now. This was actually a Danish premier of the 2011 Dow's LBV (Possible in the world for non insiders/media), so it was quite the treat that we 10 Danish people got to share on a regular Friday afternoon.

Gustavo also told us it that this LBV had gotten a new type label. It came with a T-cork!! Further more he proclaimed that Dow's will from now on only release a LBV in years where they release a Vintage. Quite the news bomb!

Info: This was part of a tasting session with Gustavo Devesas. Time for making elaborate taste notes was scarce.

Score: 90 points
Peter Handel

Post by Peter Handel »

Thanks for the note, Thomas! Out of curiosity, what are your top 5 LBVs from 2011?
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Peter Handel wrote:Thanks for the note, Thomas! Out of curiosity, what are your top 5 LBVs from 2011?
Of the ones I've tasted this is my current top 5.
1. Fonseca 92pts
2. Quinta do Crasto 92pts
3. Niepoort 91pts
4. DR 91pts
5. Quevedo 91pts

I have tried:
Kopke, Ferreira, Noval, Bulas, Vieira de Sousa, Taylor's, Dow's, Fonseca, Crasto, Niepoort, DR, Quevedo, Burmester, Barros (Missing the Graham's and....?)
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

I found a single bottle of the Taylors 2011 LBV at Trader Joe's. Most of the stores are sold out now and none remain in the warehouse. I haven't tried it yet, but the price was right. Since we use LBV's as our "house" Port I'm always looking for good wines for a good price. I looked for the 2011 Quinta do Crasto and found it on sale for $15.99 at Wine Outlet with FREE shipping (case only). Thanks guys for the heads up as we like Crasto's style.
Peter Handel

Post by Peter Handel »

What is "the Crasto style"? Is it fruitier, drier, more/less tannins, etc.?
Peter Handel

Post by Peter Handel »

Bought a Taylor's and Dow's 2011 LBV, along with a Graham's Six Grapes and a Fonseca Bin 27, opened them all and tried them (masked by a little brown paper bag).

The short version: I'd purchase the Dow's and Graham's again, and definitely pass on the Taylor's and Fonseca.
The former two had interesting tannins and character, whereas the latter two lacked both.