Barros 40 year Tawny

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Edward J

Barros 40 year Tawny

Post by Edward J »

A gift brought back from Spain, bottled 2006. It was a dark and cloudy Port. I'm not sure if it was bottle stink or ? but this was sour, weak and sour. I put it it the fridge and tried again 2 days later. Still cloudy, but this time a nose of toffee and spirit. The sour note had turned to a pleasant acidity yet still nothing you would expect from a 40 year old. Not concentrated, in fact thin. While it is now drinkable, nothing there says "luxurious 40 year old". I'll see if it gets better over the next few days, but right now 88pts.
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Re: Barros 40 year Tawny

Post by Gary Richardson »

That is unfortunate. I have not had their 40 year, but have tried the 20 year Tawny. I would only say that I have had much better 20 year-olds. Their Colheitas, however, I find to be generally quite nice and have had a few (1994, 1985, 1983, 1975).
Edward J

Re: Barros 40 year Tawny

Post by Edward J »

Tonight the Barros showed a new dimension, cocoa. Right on the front end and huge. No mistaking it followed by that biting acidity that is still overpowering but not sour. It certainly offers a multi dimensional palette, yet it has not quite evolved from it's individual elements into a cohesive whole. I'm thinking it might have spent too many years on the shelf in Spain? Still it's a full point better than last time.