1985 Fonseca vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Decanted 7 hrs, which for this bottle was perfect. Deep dark red colour with light rim. Fantastic fresh aroma of berries and touch of oak and minerals (terroir). Full body. Powerful, elegant, fruity, well balanced acidity/sweetness and very well structured. Some oak, minerals and herbs. Taste is also showing cherries, strawberries and hint of chocolate. Long aftertaste. Fantastic vintage port. 96 pts.
Thomas V

Re: 1985 Fonseca vintage port

Post by Thomas V »

Wonderful to hear Rune. Glad it showed well for you. Where do you feel this port is in terms of ageing and being at its best?

I just added 4 bottles of this VP to my cellar today so I am stoked.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Love this port and IMO will rival the 1963 in time. Just lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

When I first started to drink this port I decanted it for only 3-4 hrs, and that was not enough to get out the greatness.
However, with abt 7 hrs decanting time 1985 Fonseca VP is one of the best VPs from the 1980s, and the bottles seems to be stable in quality.

I think it will stay on for a long time, at least further 15-20 years.
As for age, I am not always impressed by old bottles if the high quality is not there anymore.
My wife and I enjoy this VP as it is now, and giving it 96 pts is very high.
It is now 31-32 years old and maybe close to its highest point (if you prefer that there is still some fruit in the VP).
Others may disagree with me on the point.

But I am sure we will keep some bottles for consumption for some years ahead :-)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I don't see the bottle fading much any decade soon. Should be equal or better than '63-66-70 when it passes the same amount of bottle age.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars