2003 Maynard’s White Colheita port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

2003 Maynard’s White Colheita port

Post by Rune EG »

Bottled 2014. No decanting, served cold at abt 8 degrees C. Clear transparent amber colour. Aroma of citrus, oak and honey. Full body. Smooth, quite elegant, citrus, a touch of caramel, oak, herbs and honey. Good acidity. Quite long aftertaste. Down two points from three years ago. 89 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2003 Maynard’s White Colheita port

Post by Andy Velebil »

I assume time to drink up this bottling of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:I assume time to drink up this bottling of it?
Would this really decay or become of poorer quality after just being bottled 3 years ago? That seems a bit rapid, don't you think?
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

We purchased a case of this white port, and like it a lot. Have one left, which will be consumed this spring/summer.
Although I do not have statistics supporting my way, I have the impression that bottling year is to some extent more important for whites than tawnies.

In my cellar list I have now inserted bottling year on all tawnies/colheitas/whites in order have a better control.
There are significant differences how well the various bottlings are showing. Some producers are better than others.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Rune EG wrote:We purchased a case of this white port, and like it a lot. Have one left, which will be consumed this spring/summer.
Although I do not have statistics supporting my way, I have the impression that bottling year is to some extent more important for whites than tawnies.

In my cellar list I have now inserted bottling year on all tawnies/colheitas/whites in order have a better control.
There are significant differences how well the various bottlings are showing. Some producers are better than others.
So what you are saying is that Maynard's ports, especially whites, should be consumed soonish after being bottled? Correct me if I misjudge what you were trying to say.

That is helpful as I actually have a few whites from namely Maynard's.
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

I have decided to be more careful with the bottling years than before.
The Portwine club jubilee white port of 1989 (Maynard) was bottled in 2014 and 2015, and they seems to work well.
I purchased a few bottles of Maynard 1970 colheita, and two of those bottles were leaking and not perforimng well. Have one more of them bottled 2013 which will be consumed shortly.
The 1982 Maynard colheita (in 50 cl bottles bottled 2012), seems to work well

So there is no clear picture, but for possible future purchases of Maynards I will not buy so much that there will be a very long period from bottling until consumption.