1966 Taylor's vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1966 Taylor's vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

During 2016 FTLOP Harvest Tour the group visited Taylor’s Vargellas. Amongst several very nice ports, we were served 1966 Taylor’s vintage, and that was an amazing bottle. I gave it 96 pts, which is very high in my book. My wife Emmy and I were so pleased with it that we wanted to buy a couple of bottles on the market. Found at the Taylor’-dealer in Denmark and straight from an OWC. Decided to drink the first one on our 38th wedding anniversary August 11th.

On the label, it was stated “Bottled 1968” which would be normal. However, on the cork it was stated “vintage 1966 bottled 1969”. Decanted 4 hrs. Plenty deposits. The colour is clearly on the way from dark red to light red. Very little sign of brown. The pleasant aroma was dominated by raisins and prunes, but also wet cellar, some oak and hints of spirit. Full body. Powerful and super elegant taste with still enough fruit. A well-structured old port which still has a very nice balance acidity/sweetness. Tannins are there in a polished way. Hints of spirit in the taste. Long aftertaste. Wonderful 51-year-old vintage port. 95 pts
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1966 Taylor's vintage port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Happy Anniversary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1966 Taylor's vintage port

Post by Roy Hersh »

Sounds yummy, Rune!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com