DOMINIC SYMINGTON

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

DOMINIC SYMINGTON

Post by Roy Hersh »

Considered months ago, this year's weeklong Guest Corner Host will appear here during the mid-section of the 4th quarter, just a few weeks after the conclusion of the harvest.

One of the most renowned names in the Port trade, this individual is encyclopedic in his diverse knowledge of the history of Port, the Douro region, and everything from the growing of grapes, to the making of Port and Douro wine as well as everything involved in bringing the bottles and cases to the markets around the globe. We are in for a rich and rewarding week and I hope all of you will participate.

The formal announcement disclosing the identity of our grand guest will appear in the upcoming newsletter. [notworthy.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

DOMINIC SYMINGTON

Post by Roy Hersh »

FTLOP is proud to have Dominic Symington join us for an entire week November 9th – 15th 2014 shortly after harvest has concluded. Dominic likely needs no introduction to most Port and Douro wine lovers, but suffice it to say, he is one of the most erudite and charismatic men in the entire Port trade. Additionally, he loves to share his vast knowledge; is a brilliant raconteur and will be answering questions directly from you, on a daily basis. So please save the dates and come join in the fun!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Symington Family

Re: DOMINIC SYMINGTON

Post by Symington Family »

Hello everyone. I look forward to answering some of your questions.
Looking forward to "speaking" to you throughout the week.
Dominic
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Thanks for joining us, Dominic. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to your thoughts on all manner of Douro related topics this week!

So to start us off with a question, now that harvest has finished up, what are your thoughts on the 2014 vintage? Are there any years previous where we can draw some parallels and perhaps get an idea of what the wines will taste like down the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Dom,
Many thanks for taking the time out of your very busy schedule this coming week to answer our questions.

My questions are related to the Graham's en-premier program recently launched. How has the initial reaction been to it, from the consumer side and even more importantly the touchy issues related to others in the Port trade, importers, distributors, and retailers? Also, why is it only being offered in the UK and are there plans to also do it in other countries in the near future? (BTW, I think it's a wonderful idea for those looking to get an anniversary Port or keep their verticals of Graham's and Malvedos going).
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Dominic, Thanks for joining us.

Would you agree that Port seems to be going through a bit of a renaissance right now? Would this have happened anyway without the 2011 vintage being as good as it was? How long can interest be sustained without a general declaration?

On a personal note, I've been really pleased that we in Australia now have easy access to much of the Cockburn's range, and more recently Graham's range. Please keep them coming (and send some 20 year old tawny as well). It wasn't easy to find for many years!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Bom Dia Dominic,

Thanks for taking the time off your busy schedule to communicate with us.

My first question, there will be more soon I'm sure :)

You recently changed the blend for the Graham's Tawny selection. Do you have plans to or are you currently revisiting the blends for the other brands of your company?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Hi Dominic, thank you for joining us. It was a pleasure seeing you again at Quinta dos Malvedos during the Harvest Tour last month; as always you were a superb host.

If you were given the ability to change (or expand) the IVDP regulations for one category of Port in some way, what would you change and why?
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Hi Dom, it's good to see you here.

My question is entitled: "Pink Port in the rear-view mirror" :wink:

This new category was introduced a few years ago and was not without controversy. Those in the trade who decided to go down the pink route put forward the view that it was a drink that would attract new consumers, particularly the younger generation, who would then go on to enjoy the more traditional categories and therefore increase the consumer base.

It has not gone unnoticed that SFE have chosen not to follow this trend. Could you please explain why and also give us any insights you have into how the Pink category has been received by the trade and consumers and whether or not it has resulted in a widening of the consumer base?

Thanks
Derek
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Hi Dominic!
Thanks for joining us this week.
It was a pleasure for Emmy and me to be together with you twice within a week last month. First at Malvedos as part of the 2014 FTLOP Harvest Tour and then at the Grand 1994-tasting in Odense, Denmark. I have two questions for you:

No. 1:
The last half year we have seen an increase in Graham’s tawnies/colheitas appearing in the tax free shops here in my country. 30 yrs and 40 yrs tawnies and 1969 Single harvest/colheita. How do you see the developments of your port production/sales in the a 5-10 year range related to the split between the ruby style (incl LBV and vintage) and the tawny/colheita-style? Will the volumes of the latter have a bigger portion than before?

No. 2:
The Symington family has been active in the Douro-wine segment for nearly 15 years with labels like Chryseia, Post Scriptum, Altano, Vesuvio, Pombal etc. Will the Douro wines continue to take a bigger share of your total production/sales, or are you stabilizing the situation at the present level?

Regards
Rune
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Dominic:

1. Will we see an aged white port from Symingtons?

2. Will Altano white ever be imported to the USA?

3. Will large format bottles also come out for SQVP, or just major vintages?

4. At a recent auction, 1963 prices were dramatically higher than 1970 vintages, is this justified?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Moses Botbol wrote:3. Will large format bottles also come out for SQVP, or just major vintages?
GM12 in double magnums, the only size yet released.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:3. Will large format bottles also come out for SQVP, or just major vintages?
Good find Julian! I doubt I'll ever been in the market for new large format VP's, but it's cool to see this trend proliferate. I have more than enough aged mags+ get through first. Cry me a river.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I think there was some GM 1979 in Magnum in the market a few years ago.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Derek T. wrote:
I think there was some GM 1979 in Magnum in the market a few years ago.
Picked up a case of G 75 in mags not too long ago.
Dirk Chan

Post by Dirk Chan »

Hi Dominic,

i was thinking i am going to open a 1970 VP this year for my birthday, any comments on the Graham's, Dow's or Warre's and which one would you pick?
Symington Family

Bradley, the 2014 has many simalarities to the 2007 in that we had a realitvely cool (for the Douro) summer. In this way we had very delicate & mature tannins & beautiful balance. The wines made in the early part of the vintage are exceptional. The rain really did spoil what could have been an outstanding year. It is however too early to give a detailed idea of the overall quality, but without a doubt a number of very good wines were made, particularly in the Douro Superior. But the rain has certainly taken the shine off what good have been something quite special.

Andy, the Port Bond has been extremely well received although it is still early days. For the moment we're only doing it in UK but will certainly expand into other markets.

Paul, thanks for your comments on Aus!
Yes of course the 2011 vintage, as we often see after a successful decalartion, has an influence on the global market. We were however already experiencing a steady growth in what the Trade calls Premium Qualities, LBV, Reserve Ruby and Aged Tawny's up. While the overall market is slipping in total volume the premium end is slowly growing. There is still ahuge amount of work to be done!
Symington Family

Hi Fred, this is something that, as far as I understand, every shipping is doing all the time. Periodically they may look a bit deeper and tweek their blends, this is what we did.
Symington Family

Hello Derek ...
As you well know, I'm in favour of anything that may bring people to Port, be it Rosé/Pink, White or Vintage et al, assuming that they enjoy it and will eventually try other styles and hopefully find some others that they also enjoy whichever it may be.
The launch of Rosé was very creative and as you mention caused quiet a lot of discussion in the early stages. After the initial introdcution the overall market has been reasonably stable however there are signs that it is slowly exapnding into other markets outside the traditional western European countries.
Symington Family

Hi Glen,
I'm not sure if it's a question of any new categories of Port, we already have quite a few which the consumer finds quite confusing.
It's important to have some form of control and structure but this can also sometimes stifle creativity and inovation.