House & Two and a Half Men

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Alan C.

House & Two and a Half Men

Post by Alan C. »

Just watched another great episode of House, the Medical Drama. I also avidly watch Two and a Half Men, the comedy with Charlie Sheen.
Sometimes I wonder about our Cousins over the Pond, in how different we've become through the last few centuries, in so many ways.
You can make some of the best TV Entertainment in the world though.
Am I right in thinking we corner the market in Nature and Wild Life programmes? Or are we just not getting to see your classics?

Alan
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

That's a good question. There is a bit of a difference, but as far as prime-time TV... can't really add much to the discussion.

Generally, I watch sporting events (particularly hockey, American/Canadian football, some "real" football, and the Olympics.) I love watching triathlon events when they are shown on TV, which is not often and is typically used as filled on "dead" afternoons.

Then there is my "church of July" which, is of course, the broadcast of the Tour de France. Not only will I wake my butt up every morning at oh-dark-stupid to watch the live coverage of the last couple hours before heading to work, I record the re-broadcast show (generally airs at 17:00 or 18:00 hrs local) and watch it when the kids go to bed for the recap of the entire day, including the best of the parts from the 'live coverage' in the morning.

I feel that the majority of the programming on the tele is rubbish (if I may borrow that phrase.) I hate the non-real "reality" tv shows, although my wife loves it to death. The only one I liked before they stopped running them was more an athletic event than 'reality tv' per se and that was the Eco-Challenge that has not been on since 2002. Pity. Nothing quite compares to the experience of adventure racing a 500+km/300+ miles course which combines different adventure sports (orienteering, kayaking, canoeing, running, mountain biking, etc.) unfortunately it didn't have the drama or human interest element as compared to Survivor.

I don't mind home-reno shows, which the wife also loves. We watch, quite religiously, come to think, a charming show called "Relocation, Relocation" which is hosted in the UK. Another one that stems from the UK is "A Place in the Sun" I believe... UK blokes with too much money trying to find a decent vacation place to buy somewhere sunny that they will rent out for the majority of the year (from what I understand, this is fairly common??)

I just noticed that the satellite provider I use has recently introduced something called "BBC Canada" - not sure if this is worth picking up as a channel.

Todd
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Re: House & Two and a Half Men

Post by Jay Powers »

Alan C. wrote:Just watched another great episode of House, the Medical Drama. I also avidly watch Two and a Half Men, the comedy with Charlie Sheen.
Sometimes I wonder about our Cousins over the Pond, in how different we've become through the last few centuries, in so many ways.
Am I right in thinking we corner the market in Nature and Wild Life programmes? Or are we just not getting to see your classics?

Alan
Actually, we have more than one channel entirely dedicated to such things, like the Discovery channel and a couple more. SOme of my favorites are the Discovery channel and the History channel, which I watch with my daughter.

Sometimes we even get to see Roger Daltry doing his Mutual of Omaha thing. Not quite the Black Adder, as Roger does not seem to have that dry British wit thing down. I guess he missed out on the whole Eaton thing?

Jay
Luc Gauthier

Re: House & Two and a Half Men

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Alan C. wrote:Just watched another great episode of House, the Medical Drama. I also avidly watch Two and a Half Men, the comedy with Charlie Sheen.

Alan
Watch plenty of Documentaries.
The BBC and National Geographic are head to head , re: Nature , Science .

Luc
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .