SF Chronicle article on 100 pt. Rating System

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

SF Chronicle article on 100 pt. Rating System

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

That is a great article on the 100pt system - thanks for sharing Roy.

Just another reason why rating a wine, be it Port, Champagne, Riesling, Cabernet, etc etc, is a highly individual thing. Find what YOU like and seek out wines that are similar.

This is my excuse for having to try everything under the sun!!! :cool:

Todd
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Very thought provocing article.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

I can see I'm part of the problem. I'll go for anything thats 90 plus. I know its not a guarentee but an indication. In a fast world, where you often haven't got time to study in detail, its a short cut. I've tried to get our Tasting Note Section set up in a similar way. The article explains the Pro's and Con's well. I cant see a better system at the moment, but maybe a Trade insider will come up with something.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

This article sums up why 80-90% of what I drink these days is port.

There is so much wine in the world and so little time for me to try it all. Rather than just dabble in a tiny depth with as much as I can, I took a decision instead to concentrate primarily on the wine that I most enjoy drinking - port.

If I spend 80-90% of my drinking hours over the next 40ish years concentrating on port, then I might start to get to know a little bit about what I'm drinking.

(But it also means that I am hopeless at those "guess what wine this is" games when its not a fortified wine from the Douro - as I demonstrated when I was convinced that Alex K's Vino do Tavola was a Tinta Roriz and couldn't see that it was a Sangiovese.

I suppose it also means that 80-90% of the time in the "guess the wine" games I just look like a plonker!

Alex
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

As an interesting (to me, maybe not to you :shock:) follow up to my comments above, I was in the wine store today (several actually) and I did notice an AWFUL LOT of ratings provided for me by the good folks at the Wine Enthusiast and Wine Spectator. In fact, not a single one mentioned Robert Parker, but regardless, after reading this article, and seeing all these 90-94 pt wines sitting on the shelves, I had to wonder about each and every one of them :? "Was it really that good or is this yet another example of a wine that will not live up to my expectations or the price?"

Needless to say, I walked out with an "unrated" wine. Some "unknown" Bordeaux, no doubt a 4th growth or bottom of the barrel swill variety - and it went very well with the meal and company that shared it with me.
Rate THIS WS!!! :twisted: :blah: :roll:

Todd
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I am not swayed by a rating good or bad . . .
What I look for is : A - A house
2- A style that not only tickles my fancy ,but says ; damm this is good !!
There isn't anything else ,IMHO . . .

( I come to this by way of our collective port wisdom )

Rate that , Alan C. ( of course using Salvador Daly's rating system )

Luc
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Luc,

What about vintage?

For example, I love Taylor ... but am rarely amused or impressed by the 1983 and 1985. The same goes for Noval in 1985, Fonseca in 1983, Niepoort 1977, Nacional in 1964, Graham's 1977 (good but never great, IMO), Warre 1970 just as a handful of examples from well known producers.

So, at least from my own way of thinking on this ... vintage is a very important qualifier when making a buying decision regardless of producer, when it comes to Port. Not all great vintages are captured by the finest producers and conversely, sometimes the poor vintages are captured by the great producers.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

True Roy ,
vintage does play a role in the equation , but not always . Case in point ; I recently tasted a Barros Colheita 1982 ( not a great year by any stretch of the imagination ) . It was very tasty and for $ 40.00 CDN a steal . . .
But I guess that is one exception of many , that confirms the rule . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .