Did anyone attend these Port events - open to the public?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Did anyone attend these Port events - open to the public?

Post by Roy Hersh »

. April 12th - San Francisco.
. April 15th - Miami.
. April 17th - Chicago.
. April 19th - New York.

If you attended, please do let us know so we can ask some brief questions. Thanks!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I was planning on trying to make the San Fran one. But trying to find info on it was like pulling teeth. By the time I was able to get info it was too late, as other plans were already made.

If you know who runs these, can you pass on they need to do a better job of advertising them and/or providing info about them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

did anyone attend

Post by dave leach »

i did attend this event. i found it very oriented towards the distributor/retailer side rather than consumer driven. ask away...

dave
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, from a cost perspective ... it probably makes more sense to do that David. You can measure your turn out much more easily too. :o

But, I had been told that this was going to be a consumer affair. So how many Port producers showed up. Do you know which one were there? Were Douro table wines represented?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Roy Hersh wrote:[...] Were Douro table wines represented?
YES. Of course :) many Douro Wine producers were also represented.
ViniPortugal printed out a tasting notes book with all the wines 7 producers listed for each individual event. I should have mine from the NYC event somewhere :)
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

did anyone attend these

Post by dave leach »

roy, i did not keep my program/tasting book, but i do recall that most port makers were in fact represented. i specifically remember royal oporto pouring their 77 vintage, sandeman pouring their 40 year tawny(the best 40 in the world imho), weise and krohn, taylor, croft, noval, and i know several more. most were pouring their recent 2003 vintage, some 2000s, and recent lbvs from 2000 and 01 i think.

the majority of wines were other portugese varieties. most were available in the usa, but there were probably 10-12 tables of wines specifically looking for us distribution. i recognized about 33% of the wines poured there that night, the rest were unknown to me.

various portugese restaurants were there cooking small samples of their menus and specialties, very delicious. there were cheeses galore.

i had a blast. i would have stayed longer, but i had show to go to and an artist i had to meet so i was behaving. i know the woman who helped plan the nyc one if you want more information.

dave