TN: Rosemount Old Benson port

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Stewart T.

TN: Rosemount Old Benson port

Post by Stewart T. »

I was dying for a glass of Port this evening, but didn't feel like popping any significant bottles from my cellar just for a single glass. I rummaged through the cellar looking for something and there she sat - a 500ml forgotten bottle of Old Benson port. This was one of the first ports I was ever really truely wowed by (granted, this was in the blissful and affordable, Pre-Roy, Port-ignorance phase of my life).

I cracked open this sentimental favorite and poured a glass.

Orangish-red in color, with a noticable rich aroma drifting up from the glass. While I'm not that sensitive to VA, there seemed to be a slight touch of VA or something on the nose, very reminiscent of a Madeira - not in an off-putting way, but in a seductive kind of way.

Upon taking the first sip, the wine just expanded in my mouth, with an incredible richness and elegance that made me just say - WOW. No noticable VA in the mouth, and the tannins and acid seems beautifully balanced with a finish that was medium-to-long. That suppleness and elegance continued through all the way to the end, which was quite enjoyable. 89 Points.
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've had numerous of these bottles early in my Port drinking days and really enjoyed them. This TN reminded me that I should pick one up soon and revisit an old friend. Thanks for the TN on it Stewart.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

tn: rosemount old benson

Post by dave leach »

at the risk of riling up the troops, i will say that this was one of the first tawnies that i fell in love with. i know, i know, it's from downunder, but this is a delicious, well-priced tawny. i believe wine spectator rated it 97 points when they initially reviewed it several years ago, which got my attention.

i enjoy it more than the yalumba 50 year tawny, and have given several to friends as gifts, and everyone has truly enjoyed it.

dave
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Dave,
Don't worry about riling up the troops as I'll come to your defense on this one, as I to really enjoyed this wine. Now its been several years since the last time I've had it, but it was one of the very few Aussie stickies that I liked.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Stewart T.

Ok - score went up.

Post by Stewart T. »

My original TN was a direct-from-the-cellar pop-n-pour. I took another sample last night after the bottle warmed up and had some time to breath.

This continues to be a stunning wine! The VA or whatever was funky on the nose is gone now, and this wine has really opened up.

I have to bump my score up to about a 94 now.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

This is one of the Aussie non-ports that I have never tried although have wanted to. Whenever faced by the decision to purchase this or a real port, I have always gone to the real stuff, but this TN is convincing me that I really do need to relax and try one out. Thanks Stewart!

Todd
Stewart T.

Down to my last glass

Post by Stewart T. »

I'm down to my last glass, and the caramels and a hint of apricot are really coming through. It has an absolutely luscious mouthfeel and a finish that just keeps going...

At ~ US$20 / 500ml, I'm going to pick up a few bottle just to have around!

I can't say that I've had tons of aussi Ports, but this one sure did the Aussi's proud.

Of course, I'd take an early 1900's Niepoort over this one any day... but that's just me... :wink: