Wine Storage

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Robert O.

Wine Storage

Post by Robert O. »

I have a dilemna and I am hoping for some advice. While I currently live in Kansas City, I will be moving back to NYC very soon. As most people know, your average NYC apartment is fairly small, even the nice ones, and fairly expensive relative to the square footage you get. In other words, I can't really afford to dedicate a room to becoming a wine cellar. But on the other hand, if I want to have a respectable 100-200 bottle collection, the necessary wine fridge will also take up a ton of room. I am also unwilling to pay $750-$1,000 a year on storage places with minimum fees.

So, what would you do if you were me? Do wine storage facilities exist with no case minimum at a reasonable fee? Do people ever band together to share storage space? Is there some solution I haven't though of? I am just out of luck?

Thanks!

Bob
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

A wine fridge is not that big for your size collection and then some. I would consider it for sure.

Do you know any friends with a cellar in NY area?

I guess you'll just have to drink it all before you move :devil:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

For a 200 bottle wine fridge, you are not looking at a real big space requirement. Do your homework and I think you'll be surprised. There are some pretty decorative pieces that look like furniture too that can blend in nicely in most rooms of your new place.

Unless you have no choice, keep your bottles in your home!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

Thanks for the advice, all. It sounds like a wine fridge is the way to go. of course I'll havre to find one the wife is OK with.

Roy, I am afraid of keeping my wine at home. I don't know how you guys cellar these ports fdor decades but I am going to try to do the same! :D
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Robert, Just for background, what is it that makes you nervous about storing the Ports in your home? Kids? Ideal conditions? Theives (sometimes the same as Kids! ;))

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Robert,

As your collection grows and also matures, you may obtain further capital to pay for off-site storage. You can then keep your youngest Ports there to age properly and provide you with the security and knowledge that keeping your hands off of them, is easier than when the bottles are at home, right under your nose. :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com