Cigar question

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Cigar question

Post by Roy Hersh »

I only smoke a handful of cigars a year and most have either been gifts or are purchased on the spur of the moment.

It is great to be the novice and ask what might seem like a silly question here. Now I know how others feel when first coming to the Forum.:oops:

I have a cigar that a friend gave me back in April. Knowing it might be awhile, I wrapped it in plastic and have stored it in my wine cellar in a small cedar box.

I have no idea what this is: PADRON, 1926 Serie, Hand Made and then it has a serial number. It is just over 4.5 inches in length, dark brown (Robusto?) and is somewhat dried out.

My questions:

a. Is this a decent cigar and where is it from?
b. Is there a way to "revive" it, as it is pretty dry but still some life to it?

Thanks!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Yes, that is a good cigar. Very unique taste, quite different from any other brand I can think of.

You can try reviving it in a Tupperware container with a well rung out small sponge and a little patience. Most likely, the cigar won't be that good, as once they are dried out; the oils evaporate along with the water. It may taste harsh and burn hot, but if you are enjoying it then it is perfect.

It should take about 1-2 weeks for the cigar to normalize in Tupperware. If you know someone with humidor, you can ask them to put in there for a couple of weeks.

Too bad, that was a really nice smoke.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Moses.

I received two PMs about this (wish they had just poste the info here as others can learn too). Anyway, one recommended a moist "tea towel" (never heard of it though ... and the other recommended putting an orange peel and the cigar in a paper bag. He swore he was serious about this.

Thanks!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:the other recommended putting an orange peel and the cigar in a paper bag.
I think the orange peel would alter the taste and might dry out before the cigar is humid. I have heard about people putting orange peels into "other smoked products" to keep them humid, but that was on a different forum you might say...
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Roy, the Tupperware idea is excellent - but can you monitor the humidity? It shouldn't go too far above 70%. Instead of orange peel, I would use potato as it is neutral. I've tried reviving using apple, orange and potato (before I bought a small humidor) and potato really is neutral and as long as the cigar hasn't been dry too long, isn't distinguishable (for me anyway) from a well stored example.

I also smoke rarely (2-4 cigars a month), but still decided to buy a small humidor as I like to keep a small stash just in case I feel like smoking one. They are easy to maintain and don't cost terribly - one bottle of decent port will get you a small one. It might be worth thinking of getting one?

-O-
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

If the sponge is well rung out, I think you'll be on the light side of getting it too humid.

Getting a humidor is an excellent suggestion.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Roy,
How humid is your cellar? 70% is considered ideal, at least in the US and the Carribean. In Britain, they like their cigars a bit drier and keep them at about 55%. Anything between these will be OK, depending on your likes. Classically, a cut apple in an enclosed enviornment was used to humidify.
The Padron 1926 is a terrific cigar. The top of the line from a very well regarded producer. It'll be very rich and pretty strong. All Nicaragran tobacco.
Rich Greenberg
Location: Redwood City, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Rich Greenberg »

I'm late here, but all of the above is good stuff. I hope that you can revive this stick to some measure of how it would be in a pristine state. Of course, what you really need is one of these:

Ok, well, maybe not one that big, but I have been frequently accused of going overboard.

If we ever meet, I'll bring the cigars if you bring the port (believe me, the other way around would leave us sober and sharing a cigar!!) ;)

Rich