Port factoid: Heavy Consumption of Port ...

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Port factoid: Heavy Consumption of Port ...

Post by Roy Hersh »

Taylor's viticultural genius Dick "Smiler" Yeatman (uncle and a great role model for Alistair Robertson) was a Port man amongst men. He was well respected by those in the Port trade. Although this may be hard to believe in today's world, but old Smiler was known to really enjoy Port and that meant he had a strong constitution and could drink with the best of them. It was not unusual for Mr. Yeatman to consume about 720 bottles of Port per year or nearly two a day ... everyday, on average.

Impressive!

Then again, I've read stories about hard working men in the UK known as "three bottle men" who literally were able to function at work, yet consumed 3 bottles per day.

Crazy stuff eh?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

The human body is a marvel of adaptation... some folks adapt it to running marathons (a guy named Dean Karnazes, the guy dubbed "UltraMarathon Man" ran 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 different states just recently), some to diving deep into the ocean where horrific amounts of pressure are put on their bodies, and some, to drinking 2-3 bottles a day. :D No matter what the adaptation, it's all impressive! :cool:

Todd
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

A funny quote I'll always remember from Niepoort winemaker Luis Seabra when he asked me why I do spit some wines. I told him it was to preserve my health and liver. He replied "My liver is already dead so I don't bother".

I often drink a bottle of wine over 5 hours period when I come back from work, yes I'm functionnal, I can write on forums, make cakes but don't ask me to do math or sort of stuff where I need great thinking. Its all about managing the effects and adapting yourself with compensation thinking :wink:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Managing , adapting and genetic background = ½ bottle of Port , every two days . . . (after an 8 hour shift )
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Wow...

Two bottles for me is my upper limit unless I had dinner before. Generally, our port tastes are 1.5 bottles per person, and I stay away from heavy machinery after. Once, we did drive in a snow storm, in the middle of the city after a "gracious tasting", but was limited to 10 mph due to the weather.

If Santa can ride his sleigh on port in the snow, anyone can....
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Moses Botbol

Re: Port factoid: Heavy Consumption of Port ...

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote: Impressive!

Then again, I've read stories about hard working men in the UK known as "three bottle men" who literally were able to function at work, yet consumed 3 bottles per day.
What they call "three bottle men" most others call "functional alcoholics". :oops:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars