TN: Chateau des Charmes 2005 Late Harvest

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

TN: Chateau des Charmes 2005 Late Harvest

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Off the beaten path for me, I was in a local liquor store this afternoon picking up some Warre's Warrior after reading Tim's TN and experience with it the other night. Saw a new item on the discount shelf, that being this 375 mL bottle of what is termed Late Harvest Riesling. Although it is clearly marked as a dessert wine, no where on the bottle does it declare itself an icewine, leading me to believe the grapes are picked and pressed before the grapes make it to the critical -10C stage to produce an icewine.

Regardless, this is a very good example of a Riesling icewine style. Although I dislike excessive acidity on most Port, it seems to fit with the Riesling grape varietal and provides a balance to the higher res. sugar content in this wine.

Citrus nose, with lemon peel being prominent. Huge, yet balanced acidity, making the wine not too sweet like some icewines. This is a very good wine and I like it very much, despite it being less sweet than I normally find appealing about icewine.

This will make me investigate the other icewine offerings from this little-known producer in the Niagra-on-the-Lake area of Ontario, Canada.

Todd