TN: A beer for port lovers: Nøgne Ø Dark Horizon (16% abv!)

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Otto Nieminen

TN: A beer for port lovers: Nøgne Ø Dark Horizon (16% abv!)

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Today I shared a bottle of a freakish, but wonderful beer, Nøgne Ø Dark Horizon 1. Edition. It weighs in at a Mollydooker-like alcohol level of 16% and costs 12,72€ / ½liter. The colour is black. It is made like normal ale at first, but then a mixture of coffee (Columbian) and sugar with a wine yeast (which one? anyone know?) was added.

The nose, surprisingly to me, is balanced and not alcoholic. It shows an almost vinous bitterness and herbeaceousness - rather reminiscent of another favourite big beer of mine, the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot ale. It is sweetly malty, yet has a fresh lift from the hops. There is a roasted and coffeed character which is no surprise since coffee is actually used.

It is lightly carbonated. The palate certainly is big, but like on the nose, I don't sense alcohol any more than I do in other winter warmer beers of more moderate alcohol. Considering how refreshing it tastes despite its malty sweetness, there must be truckloads of hops. Long.

Considering that I rarely care for table wines with high alcohol, I was very surprised that this was not only drinkable but a great beer. This is better balanced than any high alcohol wine I've tasted.

-O-
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Otto, very cool. I love "craft beers" as we call them over here. I recently found a Stout that was made with Ruby Port. I haven't tried it yet and I'm not at home so I'll have to post the name of it later.

Of course a TN will be posted once I drink the bottle.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Andy V. wrote:I recently found a Stout that was made with Ruby Port. I haven't tried it yet and I'm not at home so I'll have to post the name of it later.

Of course a TN will be posted once I drink the bottle.
That sounds very interesting! Please, do post the name once you find out. Is it a local (for you) brewer who makes it? If so, is any exported to the EU, do you know?

-O-
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Its called O'Hanlon's "The Original Ruby Stout"

It is brewed and bottled in Devon, England by O'Hanlon's Brewing Co. LTD. http://www.ohanlons.co.uk

The back label states "Inspired by a tradional morning-after 'corpse-reviver', as dispensed by kindly Irish barmen, our prize winning stout is blended with a softening measure of rich ruby Port."

It is a bottled conditioned beer and will through a sediment, per the label.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Andy,

I too love the craft beers, especially the stouts and the porters. London's Pride is likely one of my favourite Porters and Youngs makes an amazing Double Chocolate Stout.

The Alaskan Brewing company makes a kickass Midnight Sun Espresso Stout if you enjoy a coffee-based stout. Dark malt, real espresso-roasted beans. Yum!

This Ruby Stout looks like something I will have to try as well.

Otto,
Sadly, I very much doubt I will ever see this beer locally, or get the chance to try it out, but it sounds wonderful!

Todd
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Andy, I'll have to track that down - we do see a fair selection of English beers.

Todd, that Alaskan sounds great! It's a pity that so few American beers are seen over here as I think some of the most interesting trends in beers are from there.

FWIW, Shelton Brothers export Nøgne Ø to that side of the pond. The Dark Horizon is still an "experiment" so that isn't available, but I understand that a second edition will be made so perhaps that will be available there as well. But do try the other Nøgne Ø beers - they really are great!

-O-
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

Hey andy,I have seen O'Hanlon's The Original Ruby Stout for sale at hi-time in costa mesa.
Andy Velebil

TN: O'Hanlon's "The Original Ruby Stout"

Post by Andy Velebil »

OK, here is a bit of a TN on this stout made with Rubu Port.

Very dark chocolate color, with coffee and bitter chocolate in a slightly creamy texture. A slight bitterness on finish makes this an easy drinker and I finished the 1-pint 9 ounce bottle in no time at all. Worth getting again but I will say the ruby Port was really not noticable in the flavor.
Todd Pettinger

Re: TN: O'Hanlon's "The Original Ruby Stout"

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Andy V. wrote:OK, here is a bit of a TN on this stout made with Rubu Port.

Very dark chocolate color, with coffee and bitter chocolate in a slightly creamy texture. A slight bitterness on finish makes this an easy drinker and I finished the 1-pint 9 ounce bottle in no time at all. Worth getting again but I will say the ruby Port was really not noticable in the flavor.
Sounds like we need to get on with that Dark & Smooth then - the Guiness and Port (Ruby or LBV would go well I suspect.) I may just have to try this sooner rather than later.

Todd