Is it 1978 revisited?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Is it 1978 revisited?

Post by Roy Hersh »

In today's paper (Seattle Times):

Last Wednesday, the Yankees slashed the Red Sox's lead over them in the AL East to five games. The margin between the archrivals hadn't been so narrow this season since April 25th. As disbelieving as Boston supporters are about the possibility of the Yankees overtaking the Red Sox, the numbers suggested a different reality.

Back in 1978, Boston led NY by as many as 14 games on three different days -- after games on July 17-19. The biggest 2007 lead has been 14 1/2 games, achieved on May 29th.

When the Yankees closed to five back last week, they did so four weeks earlier than they did in 1978. They reached that juncture on Sept. 4th, three days before they went to Fenway Park and begain the Boston Massacre, sweeping a four-game series by an aggregate 42-9 score.

That's the sort of thing that makes baseball history fun to revisit. However, don't expect Red Sox fans to find it an enjoyable trip.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

It’s only 4 GB as of 8/12. Screw the wildcard, I want the A.L. east. GO Yankees!!!! :lol:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The Sox are going down, even though they are still favored by 90% to win the division. I don't buy it. 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I'm not so sure the Yankees can pull it out. After that drubbing of the Yankees by the Orioles I'm thinking that the Red Sox must be feeling pretty good about things right about now.....
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:The Sox are going down, even though they are still favored by 90% to win the division. I don't buy it. 8--)
From a true Masshole, I have to agree. Sox will figure a way to screw it up.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Moses,

Ye of little faith, why do you think your parents found such a biblical name for you? Red Sox fans are supposed to be true believers ... in next year!

But at least consider 2004 and all that pent up resentment towards the hated NY team can dissipate. Nobody else may ever come from behind 3-0 to win a 7 game series. :shock: