FTLOP Progress

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

FTLOP Progress

Post by Roy Hersh »

Since June, (virtually 8 weeks) we have gained over 100 new members to FTLOP. It is surprising given that during the warm summer months, Forum participation falls off somwhat. So I am not sure what is propelling the interest this summer. I have received some positive email from "lurkers" who have joined, mentioning that FTLOP has become more user friendly in the same time period. Who knows. Whatever the reason, it is nice to see some summer love.

In looking at the numbers, we have not seen that kind of activity over any two months since the site began at the end of July of 2005. At the early stages that is typical and I'd expect to have a swarm of new members join ... and we had about 160 in our very first two months.

So, I'd like to thank all of the new members from around the world who have signed up and ESPECIALLY the new folks who have taken the time to participate on the Forum. We're glad to have you and hope you will enjoy your stay! :clap:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I'm liking the fact that there are a lot more folks posting, who may not have before for whatever their reasons. It does become a bit boring talking to the same folks day in and day out, so I am glad to see (and read) some fresh faces and opinions in here!

Come on out all you lurkers! We don't bite (promise!) and I can definitely testify, you will learn SO much by asking the questions that may not be on the first couple of pages of each forum. We may reply with links to some good old postings, but if so, merely due to the fact that if an older post is well-written, thoughtful, and coherent, why reinvent the wheel? ;)

Look forward to even more participation in the coming months when Andy falls off his bike-training horse, I cease my triathlon training (for a while) and the typical "Port consumption months" begin again! :D

Todd
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Todd Pettinger wrote:
Look forward to even more participation in the coming months when Andy falls off his bike-training horse, I cease my triathlon training (for a while) and the typical "Port consumption months" begin again! :D

Todd
:lol: :lol: Yes I must say my drinking has seen a serious down turn recently. The 103 degrees (40 celcius) today has been horrible and it hasn't been much better over the past week. With this heat, I havn't felt like drinking anything but water lately...although I did finish the dregs of that Delaforce 20 year this afternoon :drunk: But I was feeling good after my 65 mile ride today. Tomorrow is another story, as it will be an 80+ mile day on the bike, at least its suppost to be a bit cooler on monday.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Ouch, that is a hot day for a bike ride. At least it's a tad bit easier than running because the speed you'll generate on the bike will help cool you down a BIT. BUT, that can also be deceptive as you gotta consciously drink lots and pay attention to your hydration levels... unfortunately Port and other spirits don't mix well with that kind of exercise/temperature/recovery regimen.

I'll expect you to do your part in Oct/Nov/Dec Andy! :Naughty: :beat: :winebath:

Todd
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

NO problem on that one Todd. Starting the first week of October, I will be in prime drinking mode that will continue for a few months :)

Today was a brutal 85 mile ride in ugly heat and humidity. The mercury hit a high of 105 (about 41 celcuis) today...thank goodness I was home from my ride before that happened. Tonight was a beer and now a nice cold Long Island Ice Tea to help keep me cool, along with the A/C on full blast!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Andy , are you for real ?
Riding a bike when the temp. hits 41 C . . .
Hell , Alan doesn't even tell jokes at that temperature . :wink:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

:lol: :lol: Heck no, I made it home just before it got that hot...even I got limits! I'm glad that heat spell is finally over. It is only supposed to be about 31-32 celcuis today :D
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Andy , good to hear .
A Portonian knows better . :)
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

A couple of years ago in my first Ironman Triathlon, we got stuck out on the bike course when the temps hit a scorching 37Celcius... they apparently measured the pavement temperature and it was something like 45 C. I felt the heat, but surprisingly, not a whole lot. I would take a bottle of Gatorade and two of water at each aid station... every 10 miles apart. One bottle of water was for drinking, the other went right onto my head, legs, back and even the tires to cool em down a bit and not let them get to bursting temperature.

But nowadays, if the thermostat hits 40, I'm hiding indoors!

Todd
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Todd , there's two things we have in common :

* Wisdom :scholar:
* We are itching to go on a harvest tour . . . :lick:
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Todd,

Hey I did the Ironman a few years back as well. It was GRUELING! Nevertheless it was a great experience (I could of done without the swim) and I also learned quite a bit about inner motivation.......

Marc
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have never done a marathon that requires riding, cycling or swimming. However, I am in the midst of a similarly grueling marathon. This is the first night I have been back at the motel (working a crazy project) before 2 a.m. and normally am at work an hour or two after sunrise. To make matters even more unusual is walking miles a day on cement and on my feet 18-20 hours a day for 17 consecutive days.

I have not been on my computer almost at all and not even to check here no less emails except once. There is now only 10 days left of this duty and I can not wait until it is all over. I have not had a sip of wine in a few weeks which is a damn shame. Even, Andy will be able to outdrink me on this trip! :shock:

8--)

Anyway, I miss you guys and can't wait to get back to my writing here and the newsletter once this is all over. The light at the end of the tunnel is that just a couple of days after this ends, I will head to Portugal. I guess I better buy my plane tickets soon. :help:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Roy !! , you must be having withdrawl symtoms .
Don't give up the fight !!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Have no fear Roy, I shall get you back to your drinking prime in no time :winebath: See you in less than two weeks time.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy, if you were in a triathlon now, this last 10 days would be considered the marathon! Then, halfway through that, or maybe 6 days through that, you would be on the homestretch! The homestretch is a good place to be - you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, you hardly feel the pain any more, and you begin the post-race celebration. :D

Todd