Los Angeles offline anyone?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Los Angeles offline anyone?

Post by Al B. »

I've just been told by my boss that I need to travel to Los Angeles at the end of October, probably to be there October 31 and November 1 and leaving in the afternoon of November 2.

This will be my first visit to the city (despite a number of visits to San Francisco, I've never been to LA before). Anyone in the area interested to meet up for an offline?

Alex
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alex,

Like you gotta ask...of course I'm up for it. Don't know my work schedule quite yet, but I will do everything I can to be there and if we need a place to do it, I'll volunteer my place...it ain't very big but it works.

And since the 31st is Halloween, we can dress you up like a big bottle of Port and you can go trick-or-treating for candy around the neighborhood :wink: :lol:

When you get your itinerary down, email me and let me know....we'll talk, as you need to do some sight seeing while you're here too.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Stewart T.

LA Offline

Post by Stewart T. »

Couldn't make the 31st, but I might be able to pop down there on there for something on the evening of the 1st. That would be fun to see you guys again.
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Count me in! I'm doing a little globe trotting in October, but I will be back in town by the end of the month. 'Bout time we had another L.A. offline!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

OK. When things are a bit more clear as to what my travel plans are, I will post again but I will definitely plan to meet up and share some port.

Andy - PM on its way.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Like Stewart, I can't do the 31st (Halloween) as my daughter would never forgive me. So if moved to the 1st, we could have one heck of a West Coast FTLOP offline. Maybe David and Jay and others could join us too!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Well, the more the merrier. I will be in LA on 31 October and (depending on Andy's shifts) will be trick or treating outside Andy's place, hoping for treats from a bottle.

I'll also be around in the evening of 1 November, but will be in meetings and working all day until I can escape around 6-7pm. I'll also have morning meetings on 2 November so won't be able to go too late into the night - but Sean and Moses can tell you that we can still have a great time.

Alex
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

OK, so come on folks, who else is in...even if you're not 100% for sure at this point, let us know you're interested. If you are a lurker, please feel free to PM me and let me know. This would be a great time to meet some folks from the forum. I can say I've meet a number of folks from here and they are all really great and fun people.

I figure we can get the details worked out as things get a bit closer. But figure on some food, Douro dry wines, and of course some nicely aged Port.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

With apologies to Stewart and Roy, it looks like I will be tied up in a business dinner for the whole of the evening of Thursday November 1, so it will be pretty tough for me to make an offline that day.

So I guess the invitation is for anyone out there who would like to join Andy and I for a glass of port and a chat on the evening of October 31st. Let us know by PM if you don't want to post publicly.

Also, it now turns out that I will be in New Jersey on the Sunday and Monday nights (October 28 and 29). If anyone close by to Summit would like to meet up on either Sunday or Monday night then let me know.

Alex
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Sadly I will be near neither city Alex... a pity really because I'd love to meet you in person! :) One day!

You're just hopping around all over the place, aren't you? Lots of travel.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

When i get back from Portugal, more info will be coming. So if your interested at all in coming, please drop me a note.
Andy Velebil

Wednesday October 31st 6pm

Post by Andy Velebil »

OK FOLKS,

My house, October 31st (Wednesday) at 6pm. I live about 10-12 miles east of Downtown Los Angeles for those that are thinking about coming. I know some of you may be coming straight from work so if you get here earlier than 6pm that is no problem. I'll have some appetizers and an appertif ready for you. Dinner will start about 7ish.

The theme is any older Vintage Port or Single Quinta VP (pre-1980), Old LBV (pre-1990), or old colheita. For the vintage Ports, if we could keep them to 1980 or older that would be great. If you don't have anything that old, don't worry bring what you got. The most important thing is for you to come and have a good time.

If you could please email or PM me to RSVP as soon as possible, as I need to figure out how much food to get. Even if your not 100% sure if you can make it, please let me tenatively know. Also, let me know if you need directions to my house.

I'll be taking care of the food, so all you need to bring is Port.

Also #2, please let me know what you plan on bringing to aviod any duplicate bottles (yes this happened before...I should have bought a lotto ticket that night, lol) and I'm going to ask our favorite placemat maker to make some up for our offline.

Any questions let me know

andy
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

Hey Andy, is it ok to bring another bottle of Dow’s 83 and a lotto ticket :?: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

only if its a winning lotto ticket...then its all the NN31 we can drink :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

last nights offline was super fun. But sorry, after only 4 hours sleep I am a bit tired at work right now. i still have some cleaning to do when I get home from work later tonight, but I should be able to get stuff up late tonight.

I will say it was a great time and I really enjoyed sharing some old Ports friends. With a couple of surprises along the way that were quite impressive. More later...
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I look forward to hearing what treats were available on Halloween evening! ;)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Todd, see the main port forum for a complete run down.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Just noticed it! ;) (I read the posts in the Forums that I know will have only a few posts per day/week (Other Discussions, Marketplace, VT, etc) so that when I get into the main forum I am always pleased by the higher number of topics. ;)

Todd