Portuguese G7 was in Montreal

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

Portuguese G7 was in Montreal

Post by Frederick Blais »

I know it is written in French but hey! the link for the pictures and the name of the wines are the same in English. Just for you to know that if you encounter a wine in the list, you'll get good pleasure for the price and the quality from the region it was produced

Le groupe du G7 fut créé en 1992 par 7 producteurs de vins Portugais pour faire la promotion sur le marché internationnal de la qualité de leurs produits. Ils étaient de passage ce mercredi dernier pour un souper et jeudi pour une dégustation.

Pour voir les photos : http://www.frederickblais.com/pics/t...s.php?album=86

Mercredi c'était la dégustation organiser par Alyne Russo de l'agence Enotria au restaurant Portuscalle. La chef Helena a su agencé les vins avec 7 services de façon magnifique.

Jeudi, le public était convié à l'hotel St-Paul pour une dégustation de plusieurs des produits qui viendront sur le marché Québécois au cours de la prochaine année. Profitant d'une petite(1hre) pause au bureau, j'en ai profité pour déguster quelques vins et partager mes coups de coeurs.

Caves Aliança : Des vins avec une belle pureté de fruit, acidité fraiche et bien équilibré.
Aliança Particular, Palmela 2005
Aliança Particular, Dao 2004
Quinta do Quatro Ventos, Douro 2005

Aveleda : Déjà connu de tous pour son Vinho Verde Quinta da Aveleda, ils ont proposés de nouveaux vins "vert" de la gamme Follies que j'ai bien aimé. Je retiens :
Aveleda Follies Loureiro | Trajadura 2006
Aveleda Follies Alvarinho 2006

Bacalhôa Producteur bien établie dans la péninsule de Sétubal en liquoreux et vin rouge. Mes favoris :
Meia Pipa, Terras do Sado 2005
So Touriga Terras do Sado 2003
Palacio da Bacalhôa, terras do Sado 2004

Herdade do Esporao Une compagnie qui ne cache pas son intérêt pour faire des vins dans un style international avec son oenologue australien mais qui réussi à faire des vins équilibré et intéressant tout de même.
Esporao Réserve Blanc, Alentejo 2006
Esporao Réseve Rouge, Alentejo 2004
Esporao Touriga Rouge, Alentejano 2004

Jose Maria da Fonseca Plus connue pour sa constante qualité en Setubal, il exploite avec succès des vignobles au Douro.
Albis 2006, Terras do Sado
Domini 2004, Douro
Periquita Classico, 2004

Cave Messisas Peut-être plus connue pour ses portos de qualité ordinaire, certains de ses vins gagneraient à être plus connu.
Quinta do Penedo, Dao 2006
Quinta do Valdoeiro Syrah, Bairrada 2005
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In case you want further suggestions as to the wines:

Bacalhôa makes a number of solid wines and albeit its located in the Alentejo down South, it may just be the most spectacular wine property in the country. I must admit I have never been there, but heard this comment from lots of trusted sources. The wines on the otherhand are solid.

Aveleda makes some very fine white wines and I have had many of them while visiting the North of Portugal and also Madeira where this brand is particularly popular. Their Albarinho bottlings (especially the 100% versions) are well worth trying and stocking for near term drinking.

The Esperao lineup is also worthy of exploration as the QPR and food friendly nature of these wines make them a smart buy for mid-week food pairings.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote: Bacalhôa makes a number of solid wines and albeit its located in the Alentejo down South, it may just be the most spectacular wine property in the country.

Aveleda makes some very fine white wines and I have had many of them while visiting the North of Portugal and also Madeira where this brand is particularly popular. Their Albarinho bottlings (especially the 100% versions) are well worth trying and stocking for near term drinking.

The Esperao lineup is also worthy of exploration as the QPR and food friendly nature of these wines make them a smart buy for mid-week food pairings.
I have had a 2000 Bacalhôa a couple of times and found it to be quite good. Kappy's Liquors in MA has it for $20 in the bin ends box. I may pick up a few for additional aging as I am curious what it'll be like in another 5+ years.

I love Aveleda's products too. Their Charamba Douro red is the best deal I have ever seen. $5 a bottle or $8.99 on a magnum is outstanding. I buy it by the case when available. Their Vinho Verde is quite nice too, as mag's are around $11 a bottle. I've Charamba 2000 and it was quite lovely, I thought it might on the decline as many Dao's can be of that age.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Keep an eye for Palacio de Bacalhoa 2004 when it will arrive. Probably the best wine I've yet tasted from them and during the tasting. Periquita Classico 2004 was also pretty good, I love that sweetness of oak in this wine.

Roy I did prefer the Loureiro | Trajadura blend to "alvarinho"(albarinho is in spain :wink: ) in 2006 Speaking of Alvarinho... have you tried Dirk's new vinho verde project? Quite interesting! He says it is 100% Alvarinho and should not be called Vinho Verde :)

Portuguese wines are getting so good recently!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Frederick Blais wrote: Portuguese wines are getting so good recently!
I agree, at every price point the Portuguese are making some of the best wines in my opinion. I hope word doesn't get out too much that $5 wines are out shining $10-15 wines from other regions of the world.

Why the US isn't going head over heals for Vinho Verde is beyond me? Everyone I have served this to is just in love with it. I picked up a rose Vinho Verde last weekend I am looking forward to trying.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars