Peoples professions

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Nikolaj Winther

Peoples professions

Post by Nikolaj Winther »

I was just wondering what you guys do for a living? So often I see people referring to their job and it made me wonder - what sort of motley crew is actually exchangeing ideas and opinions inhere? What are your backgrounds etc.

I can start with myself.

I'm a 28yo single male that works as an analyst and project manager for a municipal in western Denmark. I finished my education less than two years ago - a masters degree (I think that's what it translates as) in politics and administration (not that you guys will understand much of it, it's called Cand.scient.adm).

I've dabbled in wine for 6-7 years now, and is just now beginning to realize some of my ambitions on tasting wine and purchasing the finer stuff. After all, it's always a dilemma when you have to decide whether to buy an important text-book or a bottle of old Fonseca VP. Hopefully that changes soon (If it wasn't for my interest in expensive danish designer furniture too. Then it's whether to buy a chair or a case of old Fonseca).

Anyway - what about you guys?
What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.
Rich Greenberg
Location: Redwood City, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Rich Greenberg »

Good thread, Nikolaj! I enjoyed reading the responses to the one I started about other hobbies.

I am 38 years old, and I have been in the high-tech sales business in Silicon Valley for 16 years. Currently, I am an account manager for a large internetworking hardware and software company, and call on clients that are all within 30 miles of my house (yes, I am a lucky guy.) I have done my share of business travelling (seemed like I was permanently Premier Executive or 100k on United for a while), and love the fact that I can now do my job close to home.

I have three small children (8, 6, 3 -- all girls) who keep me very busy, and I couldn't imagine my old travel schedule with these three beauties at home.

Rich
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I am an IT consultant in the software packaging & distribution and desktop imagining architecture. Been consulting almost 10 years, mostly in Financial and then Government/Military sectors.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I am a medicinal chemist with a doctorate in Organic Chemistry, and have been working for various pharmaceutical and biotech companies for the past 12 years, the last 9 1/2 in the Bay Area. Married with two girls, 22 and 9 years old.

Jay
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

35YO
Database Administrator and Programmer at the Portuguese Wine and Vine Institute (IVV - Instituto da Vinha e do Vinho).
A wife, a 3YO kid and a Passion/Obcession/Madness about wine
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Great thread Nikolaj! :D

31 YO
Work at a large telecommunications firm (although looking elsewhere right now) as an IT Pro (Systems Admin in the x86 area).
Married, 2 kids (4 & 2) with 3rd on the way (due March)

Broke but somehow finding fundage to support this habit!

Todd
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

haha, you beat me to it Nikolaj, i was planning to start this thread also.

I am 41yo single and no kids. I work as a VoIP engineer/administrator at the local university in my town. 20.000 students and a workforce of 3500 people.

I am in charge of all the telecommunications equipment spread over 13 branches in the town. Roughly 3000 IP telephones, 150 fax machines, ISDN lines, ATM machines and so on. And a kick-ass Nortel Communication server.

My company is the first in the netherlands implementing VoIP on such a large scale. Lots of hard labour, but enjoying it very much.

Funny to read that there are a lot of port lovers that are IT-pro's :o
Stewart T.

Bio

Post by Stewart T. »

36YO single with a son (10) and a daughter (6).

Have lived in Seattle for the last 10 years.

I work for a training consulting company as an Account Manager; my primary client is Microsoft. My background and much of my career has been in corporate training of some sort or another. I've also always had a passion for technology, which has translated well into building fortheloveofport.com and doing some web work on the side "just for fun."

Stewart
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

34 years old, two kids (4 and 1½)
Working as project manager in Financial industry, primarely working on supporting business requirements for system upgrades.

-Lars
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Programmer/Analyst mainly around CRM and Database system.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Architect. I have my own firm so I do have flexibility as to the projects that I undertake. On the flip side, as the principal I do put in some long hours in order to get everything accomplished.
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

45 yrs young
Signicant other : Lucie

two kids ( Aline 6 and Félix 4 )

grinding operator for automobile supplier
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

48 years old. A general surgeon in the US Air Force for 13 years and now in the active reserve.
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

48 years old. A general surgeon in the US Air Force for 13 years and now in the active reserve.
:salute:
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

46 year old. Married with a 2YO son. Software engineer at Sikorsky Aircraft... working on helicopter simulation software.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Retired Army officer

Operations research analyst (civilian) for the Air Force

Hopefully, back to the Army
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

36 yrs old; married; no kids (just airfare and wine to date)

Executive Director of a statewide non profit organization (NGO) that works to promote healthy, energy efficient and sustainable homes and buildings in Alaska.
Scott Anaya