Portugal and Euro 2008

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Portugal and Euro 2008

Post by Marco D. »

There is a critical game coming up for the Portuguese national football (soccer) team on Saturday. Qualification for Euro 2008 hangs in the balance.

None of the Portugal games are on regular TV/cable. I was thinking of going into Newark NJ (which has a huge Portuguese population) on Sat to catch a game. Anybody know of any restaurant/bar in Newark that might have the game on TV via satellite?
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

And here I thought you were going to discuss the lousy position of the US dollar vs. the Euro going into next year. 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

There's a Portuguese community in Montreal . Does that help ? :wink:
Well , I'd put that comment along Euro v.s. U.S. dollar .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

But seriously . Portugal v.s. Armenia !!
Although Portugal can't take Armenia lightly , all they need to do is play solid for 90 minutes .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Marco D.

Post by Marco D. »

Portugal wins 1-0. I didn't see the game, but if they only won 1-0 against Armenia... I can't say I feel that confident when they have to play Italy, France, etc. (No offense to Armenia, of course).

I think all they need is a draw with Finland on Wed to go through. Go Portugal!
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Same here, Netherlands beats Luxembourg with 1-0. We qualified, but my guess is that we will be home very soon next year.

Against countries like Italy, Germany, and so on we dont stand a chance. I just can believe we are still number 7 on the Fifa world ranking list. We should be somewhere around place 18.

Portugal is at place 8, i think i will support them from now on :o
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am a Portugal football supporter and went to the Oporto & the Douro last year at the begining of the playoffs of the World Cup. I am not a big football fan except for the World Cup match. That made for an amazing time watching the games and rooting on the Portuguese team in what was also the Douro's 250th anniversary celebration. Lots of very special memories and I loved the heartfelt partriotism there which we Americans rarely get to feel about sports here.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.

Post by Marco D. »

Erik Wiechers wrote:Same here, Netherlands beats Luxembourg with 1-0. We qualified, but my guess is that we will be home very soon next year.

Against countries like Italy, Germany, and so on we dont stand a chance. I just can believe we are still number 7 on the Fifa world ranking list. We should be somewhere around place 18.

Portugal is at place 8, i think i will support them from now on :o
Ahhh... A Netherlands supporter. You must obviously remember one of the most ugly and brutal games ever played in the World Cup... and one in which I could not turn away from; I was absolutely riveted to the TV. Portugal vs Netherlands in 2006. Sixteen yellow cards, Four red cards, too many fouls to count. For those who fogot... check out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uKXq7xcnkis