TN: Pisano EtXe Late-harvest Tannat, Uruguay.

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bob Parsons Alberta

TN: Pisano EtXe Late-harvest Tannat, Uruguay.

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

This late-harvest fortified Tannat has to be one of the most extraordinary wines I have ever tasted. My chocolate mousse could not stand up to the wine`s structure! Thick chocolate brownie or bar might have worked better, maybe a deep chocolate fondue too.

The color was an inky black with a huge intense centre. On the nose I found figs, prunes, molasses, cocoa, dark fruits. Huge tannins with mocha, hazelnuts and blueberries. Also pepper, raspberry and plum. The whole mouthfeel was tannic and raw! Sure does not sound that inviting but one wonders what is going to happen to this say in 10 years? Well, I am gonna find out as I purchased one bottle! $31 Cdn for a split.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I'll dig out my tasting note that introduced this dessert wine to North America two years ago. It is excellent and I sit on a few of them in my cellar as well, only to open them for folks who are way open minded.

Most people do not even know the Tannat grape no less a single other wine or producer from Uruguay. I have documented the whole story, now I just have to go dig it out of the archives.

Bob, it is great that you have discovered this wine. I had it for the first time in April 2005 at the Vancouver Playhouse Wine Festival and spent lots of time speaking to the owner about his family, the winery, Tannat and this specific wine. Really intriguing and one of the more unique dessert wines I have ever come across. Glad to see someone else who truly appreciates some obscure dessert wine!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Bob, was this from the Dessert tasting at deVines? I am sad to have missed that one, but I think this was one of the hidden gems on the menu... sounds like I may have to pick up a bottle to satisfy my curiousity!

Todd