CellarTracker progress is impressive - have you joined yet?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

CellarTracker progress is impressive - have you joined yet?

Post by Roy Hersh »

From Eric LeVine of CellarTracker,

disclosure: Eric's a good friend and my TNs appear on his website's DataBase.

As we finish 2007, I wanted to announce some exciting site changes, briefly reflect on the growth of CellarTracker over the past few years, and thank everyone for their part in making this possible.

NEW FEATURES

In the past few weeks I have made a number of changes to CellarTracker so that you can store and share much more detailed information about producers and wines. Much like Wikipedia, CellarTracker now allows any registered user to easily add or edit articles on individual wines, producers, grape varieties, appellations and more. In just a few weeks since its quiet launch, the community has already populated thousands of articles, producer hyperlinks and more. If you have ever wished to store more public information about the wines in your cellar, just go to the page for any wine, scroll down to the CellarTracker Wiki Articles heading, and click the link to add/edit the appropriate type of article.

Now that the site has an integrated Wiki, I have taken a stronger stance on getting the community to put the right data in the right place. Next to every tasting note on the site there is a link for anyone to report an issue on a note (e.g. inappropriate use of copyrighted information, "Gave to Bob & Mary" posted as a public tasting note instead of a private consumption note, winemaker articles posted as public tasting notes instead of in the Wiki etc.) With the help of the community I have recently cleaned up thousands of misplaced notes (mostly consumption notes) and educated dozens of users about where to better store this information. Going forward this will allow all of us to ensure that the community tasting notes remain high-quality and useful.

METRICS

2004 2005 2006 2007
Registered users 1,500 10,000 25,000 43,000
Bottles tracked 350,000 1,500,000 4,100,000 7,225,000
Wine reviews 14,000 64,000 220,000 450,000

Since its launch in 2004, registration has grown to more than 43,000 members. On an average day, you are adding 10,000 bottles to the site for a total of 7.2 million bottles inventoried. The database includes more than 412,000 wines from 38,500 producers, easily the largest of its kind. The CellarTracker community has also emerged as an abundant source of wine reviews with more than 600 wines reviewed in a typical day for a total of 450,000 wine reviews, all written by you, real wine enthusiasts. Peer or 'amateur' reviews are not a replacement for those written by professional critics, but to put these numbers in perspective, you are generating as many reviews in 3 weeks as the Wine Spectator publishes in an entire year. You have created the largest collection of wine reviews in the world, all freely available for the wine-loving community to enjoy. The site is also quickly becoming one of the most heavily visited wine websites with more than 10 million page views per month from hundreds of thousands of unique users.

The bottom line is that with each new user, CellarTracker gets more useful for everyone. All of this is a testament to the passion that wine inspires and power of community, core principles of CellarTracker from its inception.

THANK YOU!

It has been a wonderful 2007 with lots of site improvements: nearly doubling in size yet with constant focus on site performance; hundreds of user-driven improvements; integration with CellarSensor temperature and humidity monitoring; very exciting integration with 3rd party sites (Roy Hersh's For the Love of Port, Gary Vaynerchuk's Wine Library TV and Bill Nanson's Burgundy-Report) and now the integrated Wiki. And there is SO MUCH MORE in store for 2008!

Finally and most importantly, I want to thank all of you for your participation, support, encouragement and suggestions. It is my honor and pleasure to serve you!

Best wishes to a great 2008,
Eric LeVine
http://www.CellarTracker.com
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I know a lot of friends who joined this year. The only reason why I don't is because I did my own software and don't want to be bothered typing all my wines again.

Just like you(you probably know more), I some the improvements coming in for 2008 and it will be even more impressive! It is just getting better an better!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Fred,

There is a bulk import feature that makes downloading your existing database fairly easy. Not sure on the full details, but I'm sure Eric at Cellar Tracker could help. It really is a great program...I've used it for about 2 1/2 years and love it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric LeVine
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Eric LeVine »

Yes, there is a bulk import. See http://www.cellartracker.com/bulkfaq.asp
-Eric LeVine It rhymes with wine... http://www.cellartracker.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I am a member.

Jay