Film Review: Atonement

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

Film Review: Atonement

Post by Derek T. »

I bought this on DVD after seeing the hype in the recent BAFTA Awards and in the lead-up to The Oscars.

What a load of tosh :roll:

I was really disappointed in this film. English period drama isn't really my bag but this had such rave reviews that I decided to give it a go. There was no real development of the characters and nothing to make you feel any empathy or emotion. The storyline was superficial and the ending had nothing to offer.

Am I missing something?

Derek

OK - I'll give it some points for cinematography, costumes and Kiera Knightly in a wet t-shirt :wink:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Much ado about nothing. Interesting and mildly entertaining.

However, if you are looking to view one of the best films up for an Oscar, catch Daniel Day Lewis in THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Now that is a well-crafted flick!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

First of all: I rarely watch films because for some inexplicable reason the visual arts aren't something I can relate to. I however enjoyed Ian McEwan's book, so I also saw the Film and I enjoyed it also. I guess I might have been projecting what I saw on Film back to the Book, since I did see development in the characters and felt very strongly on all sides: I felt a sense of one-ness with both Briony and Cecilia Tallis and with Robbie. I could feel the logic of all their decisions. I think both the book and film were powerful.
Derek T.

Re: Film Review: Atonement

Post by Derek T. »

Derek T. wrote:OK - I'll give it some points for cinematography, costumes and Kiera Knightly in a wet t-shirt :wink:
It seems The Academy don't give out statues for a wet t-shirt competition :roll: :lol:

Derek