Last chance to predict OSCAR's

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Last chance to predict OSCAR's

Post by Roy Hersh »

Four hours left and I should have done this days ago but I have been spending all of my days/nights on getting the next newsletter ready for you all.

So, who do you like to win in these categories:

Best Actor

Best Actress

Best Supporting Actor

Best Supporting Actress

Best Director

Best Film
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Gotta throw my props out for the Canucks in the lineup:

Juno Best picture
Ellen Page Best Actress
Jason Reitman Best Director.

Probably just dreaming, but you heard it here first!

T
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Wow... 0 for 10 for the Canucks. Couldn't have been further off! ;)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Is it too late to vote for DDL as Bill The Butcher (again) in There Will Be Blood?

I have not seen TWBB, so I may be entirely wrong - but the clips I have seen reveal a very similar character to Bill from Gangs of New York. I do hope that DDL isn't developing Michael Caine, Sean Conery and Hugh Grant's annoying talent for playing the same character in every film they make :roll:

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I only got two right. I also voted for DDL and also Marion Cotillard who won best actress for her amazing portrayal in La Vie en Rose. I liked it better than my wife and the music was great too.

Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the greatest living actors and really has never let audiences down in anything. One of my all time top 10 flicks ... The Unbearable Lightness of Being, from 1988 had him married to Juliette Binoche in her prime ... and both were involved separately with Lena Olin at her scorching hottest. Steamy film but with geo-political bent with Czech-USSR tensions and so much more. If you like DDL and/or either of the two beauties with him in ULOB, it is a great rental.

As for There Will Be Blood, have no fear Derek! DDL is nothing like the Bill in Gangs. In fact, he is much more ruthless (believe it or not) equally as deadly and far crazier! It did not deserve to be a Best Pic nominee IMO, but DDL's performance was captivating and above any other performance that it would have been robbery if he didn't win the big O.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

I know what you mean about 'Same Character' actors. One who always amuses me is Johnny Depp. He has great screen presence, picks entertaining films, but he always plays the same quirky, humerous, lovable person in every film. He just changes his costume now and again.
Compare that with a Judy Dench, or a Helen Mirren. They can play parts that are so different from each other, you'd swear it couldn't be the same human being. Which of course is the point.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Alan C. wrote:They can play parts that are so different from each other, you'd swear it couldn't be the same human being. Which of course is the point.
Alan, I think you've just nailed on the head precisely what a great actor/actress is all about. Having the ability to play the same type of character in every movie is ok, but having the ability to play a wide range of characters is more impressive.

I'm not saying anything about DDL here, I haven't seen TWBB, just agreeing with your more general statement! :)

Todd