Your favorite movie(s) of all time?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Your favorite movie(s) of all time?

Post by Roy Hersh »

The great thespian and actor extraordinaire, better known as Marlon Brando, befriended 3 young actors who he claimed were, "the greatest screen stars of the next generation." All three spoke upon his death, either giving eulogies or sermons about their friend. Their names:
Daniel Day-Lewis
Johnny Depp
Sean Penn

Whether you agree with Brando or not, isn't the point here. His vision though is quite interesting.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Interesting that you played the Brando card today, Roy.

Last night I watched Apocolypse Now for the first time in my life. I know, I know...I'm a bad person for not watching it before now but, to be honest, I thought I had until I saw it last night :shock: :oops:

Whilst the genius that went into making this film is clear to see I have to say that it lost me at times. Perhaps you had to be around at the time and have an appreciation of the social and political environment that caused the film to be made? Or, perhaps you need to have less alcohol in your bloodstream before watching it :roll:

Anyway, I can't add it to me list of favourite films as it didn't really rock my boat.

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Watch it 2-3 more times and you'll then start to understand all of it....or just take lots of drugs before hand, like the actors did while making the movie.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A very fine film and the director deserves most of the credit for A.N. FFC was brilliant and the casting and his direction were phenomenal. I think one had to have a pretty good grasp of the intricacies of the So. East Asia geo-politics and especially the Viet Nam/Cambodia/Khmer Rouge connectivity.

Multiple views of this film does help, enjoying the Doors doesn't hurt ... but watch out for those funny cigarettes, you won't be able to taste your Port accurately (so I am told).
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm going off total memory here, but IIRC the film almost didn't get finished. It was so far over budget, took so long to film, and the actors were pretty much all drunk, doped up (or both) that it almost didn't happen. Glad it did, as I enjoy that movie no matter how many times I've seen it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Another favorite of mine is sort of a biography of legendary cyclist Eddie Merckx, "La Course en Téte"

You gotta be a cyclist to really appreciate this movie, but I love the part where he is in his basement during winter, riding rollers. He is spinning so fast the rollers actually start to bounce off the ground up and down. I remember as a teenager trying my hardest to achieve this..and finally succeding and scaring the living day lights out of me at the same time I did it. Or when he is in the middle of a race, flying down a mountain road at break neck speeds, and he has both hands off the bars adjusting his saddle :shock: Truly amazing to watch!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:Another favorite of mine is sort of a biography of legendary cyclist Eddie Merckx, "La Course en Téte"

You gotta be a cyclist to really appreciate this movie, but I love the part where he is in his basement during winter, riding rollers. He is spinning so fast the rollers actually start to bounce off the ground up and down. I remember as a teenager trying my hardest to achieve this..and finally succeding and scaring the living day lights out of me at the same time I did it. Or when he is in the middle of a race, flying down a mountain road at break neck speeds, and he has both hands off the bars adjusting his saddle :shock: Truly amazing to watch!
Never saw that one! Do you own it on DVD? I saw "Hell on Wheels" about Telekom team and that was a fun movie. No athlete will ever be like Eddy... He had a 55% winning streak....
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses,

Yeah, its on DVD and usually a couple of the mail order bike stores carry it. Try Excel Sports or Amazon. its totally worth getting.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:I'm going off total memory here, but IIRC the film almost didn't get finished.
Andy,

You have a very good memory. If my arithmetic is correct you were 6 years old when AN was filmed :shock: :hello:

I will try watching it again one day. One question - was the cow already dead with it's legs propped up to keep it standing when they hacked it to bits or did they really kill it on film?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Derek T. wrote: One question - was the cow already dead with it's legs propped up to keep it standing when they hacked it to bits or did they really kill it on film?
With cows, is there really a difference? :wink:

Yeah, okay, they're not quite as dumb as turkeys, but still...
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I'm going off total memory here, but IIRC the film almost didn't get finished.
Andy,

You have a very good memory. If my arithmetic is correct you were 6 years old when AN was filmed :shock: :hello:
I was probably younger than that :roll: But I took a film class at University and this was one we reviewed. We had a pretty open minded professor that let us watch things most professors probably wouldn't.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Derek T. wrote:
Andy,

I was probably younger than that :roll: But I took a film class at University and this was one we reviewed. We had a pretty open minded professor that let us watch things most professors probably wouldn't.
OK. I'll let you off with that explanation.

But have you seen Spice Girls: The Movie, if not, you need to.

Derek
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

My wife loves the Spice Girls, and so I have seen the movie more often than I can count.

I have seen it often enough that I no longer know whether or not that is a good thing.

:help:
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I will not be adding Indiana Jones IV to my list :Naughty: - absolute rubbish.

I was really disappointed with this as the first 2 films in the origonal trilogy were quite amuzing and entertaining. This one is just plain lazy. It makes me sick to think how much these guys will pull in for making this tripe.

Derek