Your favorite movie(s) of all time?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Re: Your favorite movie(s) of all time?

Post by Al B. »

Al B. wrote:My top 5 films would be:

Dark Star (John Carpenter, 1974)
The 39 Steps (Hitchcock's 1935 version)
The Italian Job (Starring Michael Caine, 1969 - great family entertainment)
The Last Emperor (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1987 - just breathtaking cinematography)
Our Man in Havana (Starring Alec Guinness, 1959)

C'mon folks - you've got to leave a good film for at least 20 years to mature before you can really appreciate them at their best!
I've decided to change my last one and substitute The Third Man for Our Man in Havana. I just love that zither theme tune and the film was great. I first saw The Third Man in the very late 70's (30 years after it was filmed) in an old cinema that used to run Friday night specials of great but old films. The cinema itself was a 1930's building and used to be packed with teenage children on a Friday night. Sadly, that cinema is no longer there - the space is a 12 storey office block.

Alien might be close to my list, as well. I remember going to see that at the cinema in 1979. The build up of tension was great - nothing happened for half the film but you got more and more tense as the time went by...until something moved! I still remember the scream in the cinema when the preserved alien in the jar moved - everyone knew it was going to move, but they still screamed when it did. I went home that night with nail marks dug into my hand from the girl who I was sitting next to. Neither she nor I noticed that she had drawn blood during the film, we were so captured by the tension.
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Lonesome Dove. I have watched it almost every year since it was made into a movie.
Scott Anaya
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My Top 10 Movies of All Time, in order of preference:

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. On The Waterfront
3. The Deer Hunter
4. Paths of Glory
5. The Color Purple
6. Empire Strikes Back
7. The Sting
8. Dr. Strangelove
9. Sophie's Choice
10. Unbearable Lightness of Being
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Another one I'll add to the list...

Good Will Hunting

My favorite line..."How do you like them apples" as Damon gets the girls number and that other loser didn't.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy which part in that movie most closely represents your life? :mrgreen:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Andy which part in that movie most closely represents your life? :mrgreen:
lets see...getting drunk when I was underage at bars (pays to have friends that work there), getting in fights - usually after the bar closed :mrgreen: , hooking up (who said that :oops: ) , and failing every math test I took (wait, Damon was a math wiz...ohh well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad :scholar: )
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

The Deerhunter
Deliverance
Animal House
The Blues Brothers
Fargo
Psycho
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
The Hustler

Honorable Mention:
No Country For Old Men
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Marc J. wrote: One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
I hereby recind my previous submissions. Excellent film and one of the most memorable of my life.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I saw this again in 2006 for the umpteenth time, and it just never gets old. It is amazing to look at the cast in this film. The role of the Indian pretending to be a mute is brilliant. Nurse Ratched or whatever her name was, the actress was just brilliant. Jack in one of his career best roles (of quite a few at that level) so very entertaining. This is one of those films that you are proud to know were made so that future generations can look back at that the way we look back at some of the all time greats from the 1930s-1950s.

Mark,

Pathetically, I have yet to see NO COUNTRY as of yet. I saw all the other worthy ones from last year but missed this. I will see it sooner rather than later. My wife and I used to see 30+ movies a year together before our daughter was born. Now we're lucky to see 6 a year together that are not by Pixar or Disney. I have to get back into my Sunday night out at the movies.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote: The role of the Indian pretending to be a mute is brilliant.
Absolutely agree. So many great characters it's hard to pick out a winner. Danny Divito's endlessly optomistic "hit me" requests when bust at cards is hilarious.

I think what makes this film so great is that (I hope :help: ) everyone can relate to at least part of the personality of one or more of the inmates. It seems to capture the world's insecurity and vulnerability without even trying.

Brilliant. Must dig out that DVD this weekend.

Derek

PS: I think her name was Nurse Rachett
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Hmmm... I can't believe I missed this topic. I agree with Roy on my favorite movie; I even remember mentioning this to him on the last Harvest Trip. Unfortunately, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE does not make for a good date movie (what was I thinking!?!), as my ex girlfriend can certainly attest to.

I've always had an attraction to movies with tragic endings; I also love old Italian movies, especially Fellini and De Sica. There was a documentary I saw recently where Martin Scorsese discusses the classic Italian Films that influenced him as a child... worth checking out.

Anyway, other films on my list:

Umberto D.
La Strada
Juliet of the Spirits
Deerhunter
L'Aventura
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I watched The Shining last night - classic psycho horror and another great performance from Jack.

...but I couldn't stop smiling when I heard the voice of Hong Kong Fui every time the chef opened his mouth :lol:

Derek
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Some of my favorites are:

The Thing (still scary after all these years!)
A Bridge too Far
The Man who Would be King
Raising Arizona
Chinatown
Alien
Ten Commandments
Apocolypse Now
Forest Gump
Mad Max
Blue Velvet
The Outlaw Jose Wales
Where Eagles Dare
Every zombie movie ever made (both slow and fast)

I think I now own more than 50 zombie movies, from the early Romero and Fulci stuff to the comedics such as Special Dead, Shawn of the Dead, and Undead or Alive. The nice thing about zombie movies, unlike big cast movies like a bridge too far and ten commandments, is that they keep making them!

Recent films I have been impressed with include there will be blood and no country for old men, but I'll have to wait a few years to add them to the list to see if they have staying power in my mind.

Jay
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

This thread has caused me to keep digging out those Jack Nic DVDs. Tonight I watched As Good As It Gets - brilliant film and a great preformance form old Jack. Why is it that my favourite films always seem to include insane and obsessive compulsive charachters :? :devil: :help:
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Talking of Jackie, how good was he in 'A few Good Men' ? He stole the film from the pretty people, Demi Moore and Tom Cruise. That 5 minute speech in Court at the end, when I presume your supposed to think he's the bad guy? Awesome. He spoke for me....
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan C. wrote:Talking of Jackie, how good was he in 'A few Good Men' ? He stole the film from the pretty people, Demi Moore and Tom Cruise. That 5 minute speech in Court at the end, when I presume your supposed to think he's the bad guy? Awesome. He spoke for me....
Absolutely agree - great acting and said what most of the world doesn't want to speak about in public but needs to know is there.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Agree, I've always like A few Good Men...Jack is always a favorite actor of mine.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Yea...now if they could just translate that into a zombie theme...thousands of cuban zombies 100 yrds from where Jack is having breakfast...I can see it now :wink:

Jay
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jay Powers wrote:Yea...now if they could just translate that into a zombie theme...thousands of cuban zombies 100 yrds from where Jack is having breakfast...I can see it now :wink:

Jay
:lol: and Jack scaring them off with that scary look of his :help:

A friend of mine recently got a very cool Blue Ray player and a new super high def projector for his mini-theater he build, so I picked out "Finding Neverland" with Johnny Depp. Depp has always been one of my favorite actors because he plays such a wide variety of roles so well. Actually I think he is one of the best of the "younger" actors there is. Younger is relative as I think he is in his early 40's??? A cool movie that gives such a different angle on the whole Peter Pan thing. And the little kid that plays Peter does such a tremendous job for someone that couldn't have been more than 10-12 years old at the time of production. Of course a little Sandeman's 20 year tawny with it was also good :mrgreen:
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Jay Powers wrote:Yea...now if they could just translate that into a zombie theme...thousands of Cuban zombies 100 yards from where Jack is having breakfast...I can see it now :wink:

Jay
Hi Jay,

that made me laugh out loud. Good one.

In a pathetically serious response, my liberal friend, it was Movie Escapism and Exaggeration, but the reason it hits a chord, is the Democracy angle. Once a country has that, it cant come to whatever sensible or twisted decisions it wants.

See, my point is dreary, yours was cutting and funny, oh well...

Alan