proof that the Irish are crazy

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

proof that the Irish are crazy

Post by Glenn E. »

I have been introduced to Hurling (the Gaelic sport, as opposed to the side effect of alcohol).

It can best be described, I think, as a grounded version of Quiddich from Harry Potter. A bunch of large, burly men run around with large wooden sticks and swing them at a hard, fast moving ball in an attempt to behead each other... er, I mean hit the ball into a net. It's also sometimes as lacrosse crossed with rugby crossed with ice hockey.

Other than a flimsy plastic helmet, they're not wearing any armor either. Personally, I think I'd want a full suit of plate mail before I'd venture out onto that field.

I think someone invented this sport after one (or several) too many pints of Guinness.

Somehow, now one has died yet this year playing hurly. At least not in this stadium. Yet.

Crazy people.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: proof that the Irish are crazy

Post by Andy Velebil »

:lol: :lol:

It makes our football players (the kind with the oblong ball, not the round one) seem like sissies, Huh :evil: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

andy velebil wrote::lol: :lol:

It makes our football players (the kind with the oblong ball, not the round one) seem like sissies, Huh :evil: :lol:
Yeah, but so does Cricket :evil:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Glenn,

Did you get to watch it at the famous 82,300 seater Croke Park Stadium in Dublin 8--)

Hard to believe that a game that is played by so few people in the world could have such a wonderfull and historic venue.

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

The Scots nearly did the same with the Highland Games! Sadly they were instinctively persuaded by the cost of hiring the open field!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Holy smokes, that is a monster of a stadium :shock:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Yeah, Croke Park is amazing. Not only is it a fabulous 82,000 seat stadium, but it is entirely reserved for Gaelic sports! They're playing soccer there for 2 years, but had to pass a special dispensation to allow it while the new soccer stadium is being built because soccer is not a Gaelic sport.

Croke Park is the 4th largest stadium in Europe. It's constantly sold out for events, and all they play there are Gaelic sports like Hurley and Gaelic football. Soccer is a 2nd class citizen not worthy of gracing the pitch at Croke Park. :shock:

Like I said... CRAZY!
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Glenn E. wrote:Yeah, Croke Park is amazing. Not only is it a fabulous 82,000 seat stadium, but it is entirely reserved for Gaelic sports! They're playing soccer there for 2 years, but had to pass a special dispensation to allow it while the new soccer stadium is being built because soccer is not a Gaelic sport.

Croke Park is the 4th largest stadium in Europe. It's constantly sold out for events, and all they play there are Gaelic sports like Hurley and Gaelic football. Soccer is a 2nd class citizen not worthy of gracing the pitch at Croke Park. :shock:

Like I said... CRAZY!
Glenn,

I'm not sure what you Irish Hurly friends would have described it as but the other sport that is being played there currently is Rugby Union, not Football (soccer). The Irish international rugby team's home is at Lansdowne Road on the other side of the city and is currently being re-built so the GRA, who own Croke Park, are allowing them to use the stadium for a few years. Croke Park has been used for the annual 6 Nations tournament (Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France, Italy and England) for the past two years and every game has been a complete sell-out. A Dublin taxi driver told me last month that the Rugby guys are now scratching their heads wondering why they are currently building new stadium at huge expense with only half the capacity of Croke Park :shock: :cry:

Derek
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Odd... it was a tour guide who told us that they were allowing soccer to be played there for 2 years while a new stadium was being built. And he said soccer, too, not football (he knew we were Americans).

Of course, knowing we were silly Americans, he might have thought that we call Rugby Union "soccer" too. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Glenn E. wrote:Odd... it was a tour guide who told us that they were allowing soccer to be played there for 2 years while a new stadium was being built. And he said soccer, too, not football (he knew we were Americans).

Of course, knowing we were silly Americans, he might have thought that we call Rugby Union "soccer" too. :lol:
Glenn,

It is possible that this is also true as the Irish soccer team may also traditionally play at Landsdown Road.

Derek
Andrew N.

Post by Andrew N. »

in Scotland we have shinty,but we are all Gaels.Think the French have something similar .Wha Hey the Scots!!.Gings crivens help ma bob etc ,Slainthe ! Big Andy fae the toon.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

pinalta wrote:in Scotland we have shinty,but we are all Gaels.Think the French have something similar .Wha Hey the Scots!!.Gings crivens help ma bob etc ,Slainthe ! Big Andy fae the toon.
Andy, I'm fae Abbeyhill :wink: - now live wae the English but um up the toon every weekend tae see the bairn.

Fancy a port sometime?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hey, this is an English speaking website :devil: But I do fancy some port...maybe a little roadtrip to the Highlands is in order...wonder if I can drink as much whiskey as I do Port :drunk:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:wonder if I can drink as much whiskey as I do Port :drunk:
You will find Whiskey in Ireland, but the Scots will give you Whisky :wink:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

so long as they don't make me wear a dress...uhh, i mean kilt :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:so long as they don't make me wear a dress...uhh, i mean kilt :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Worse. I'm going to make you eat Haggis :shock: :evil: :devil: :help:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Derek T. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:wonder if I can drink as much whiskey as I do Port :drunk:
You will find Whiskey in Ireland, but the Scots will give you Whisky :wink:
I'm an official Irish Whiskey taste tester, and I have the certificate to prove it! :drunk:
Derek T. wrote:Worse. I'm going to make you eat Haggis
Haggis is to good food as Whisky is to Whiskey. ;)
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn,

now we're talking..Port and whisky, you the man! But the certificate does scare me :lol:

Haggis...NO WAY :!:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Shh... don't tell anybody, but you can become an Official Irish Whiskey Taste Tester by taking a tour of the Old Jameson Distillery in Dublin and performing a comparison test of 3 whiskeys, 1 whisky, and 1 bourbon at the end. :scholar:
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Haggis...NO WAY :!:
You're not getting off that easy my friend. In October you will spend at least 2 nights in Scotland and on at least one of those nights you will eat our national dish. I promise you a good old VP to wash it down with if you'll promise me you will use the correct cutlery to eat it with :wink: :lol: