Boxing Fans are you excited for tonight?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Boxing Fans are you excited for tonight?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think we have one of the all time classic fights happening this evening. I have been waiting for this match off of two of the greatest light heavyweight fighters of our time. Of course I realize this is not their natural weight class but so be it. So, who are you rooting for, the Yank or the Welsh Warrior? This promises to be an extraordinary bout. Bernard Hopkins vs. Joe Calzaghe tonight. Yeah baby!

Both have trained impeccably as if this is their last bout, regardless. Who knows if that will be the case. Lots to prove for Calzaghe in his first fight overseas with doubts trailing his reputation. I think people are underestimating his exceptional qualities and ability to hit with equal punishment from either hand. Hopkins too is a warrior and has trained with the best professional organization ever compiled. Tough prediction here, but I just don't see Joe going down. He may not be the marvelous defender that Hopkins is, and don't understimate Bernard, for a second. But Calzaghe is robotic in his undying energy and speed with which his hands and arms can move, in that square shouldered ambidexterous manner.

Both are left standing at the end of the fight and Calzaghe wins on points. But that is why they get in the ring.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Boxing Fans are you excited for tonight?

Post by Glenn E. »

Wow, extremely accurate prediction!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn,

Did you watch the fight?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

No, I just read a recap. Other than Hopkins downing Calzaghe early it sounds like a very tough and fairly even fight.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I watched it again last night. Great bout!

Is it possible there are no other boxing fans here? Very sad. :snooty:
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

I watched it. I suspect it's Calzaghe's swan song. He on;y sneaked this one on the punches thrown/aggressor rule. Not his best performance, and it could have easily gone the other way. Hopkins is a loud mouth journeyman now.

We have a decent heavyweight on the way, David Haye but at that level, one good punch can change all of that...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

FINALLY! Thank you Alan.

I think Bernard is done. Joe on the other hand is an old man (for boxing) with a ton of heart and solid instincts and ability to take a rocking punch or three, while his fists of fury are never dormant for long. He is the consumate aggressor and although Hopkins' strategy was a mostly defensive one (no surprise there) he did land that one good punch in the first round.

No way he was really hit in the groin and without that rest ... probably would have lost more prominently. His career is certainly done now, unless he needs the money and wants to fight a few hacks or up and coming kids looking to build a name by beating a has been.

Calzaghe on the other hand, looked fierce and well-trained with energy to spare at the end. The ONLY thing that caught my eye, was that his great left lacked its usual devastating ferocity and power. In that way, I think at the Light Heavyweight, he could be beatable. There are a handful of contenders who are going to want a piece of him, but given his talent and way in which he took out one of the former greats (yeah Bernard is a loudmouth and gave a classless speech at the end of the fight) he was "trained" for endurance for this fight and I think that may have been why his power punch seemed like Joe-light.

I really can't remember any other fighter in that weight class that had hands that move so blazingly fast ... especially given his age ... but I am talking about at ANY age. Impressive pugilist.