Brief Movie Review: The Boxer

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Brief Movie Review: The Boxer

Post by Roy Hersh »

In a recent FTLOP thread about movies, Daniel Day-Lewis' name came up and a discussion ensued. I think it may have been Derek T. that mentioned this movie as one of his best, or possibly Glenn ... but I really can't remember.

SPOILERS:
Anyway, after a great night of wine and fun with my family and Stewart's which included the battle film Braveheart, I wound up watching another type of battle film. The Boxer is about the IRA vs. England back in the day when the tensions were always on a razor's edge and the tit-for-tat violence always explosive.

Daniel Day-Lewis portrays Danny, an ex-IRA operative who was imprisoned at 18 and we watch him released from prison in the early goings, at age 32. His 14 years inside hardened Danny and kept him mostly inside his own head. He wants to be left alone and go on with living. An ex-boxer who had been an extraordinary young talent, Danny decides to turn a local social hall back into a boxing ring, as it had once been. Initially it is to train youths in the area, but before we know it, Danny is preparing to fight once again.

He runs into his ex-girlfriend Maggie, played by Emily Watson (my favorite of hers was Breaking the Waves) who did an excellent job in this particular role. Unfortunately for Danny boy, she is now married and with a young boy. If that was not enough of a deterrent, she just happened to marry Danny's best friend and had his child, while Danny was doing the 14 year stint. More? Her husband also was arrested by the British police for collaborations (real or imagined?) with the IRA and Maggie's father just happens to be one of the two top men in the IRA.

Daniel Day-Lewis, the consummate actor, trained and boxed for 3 years prior to this pictures shooting to get ready for his role. How is that for dedication? There are two fights shown, one in Ulster where Danny came from and one late in the film in London at a swank, private club. The latter fight was brilliantly filmed and the ending of this battle is a true pugilistic historical recounting.

The film is centered by the reignited love between Danny, a flawed individual unable to express his feelings, no less his thoughts; and Maggie, the "boss's daughter" who must be true to her imprisoned husband as per the way things are meant to be for mob guys wives and the same for those married to IRA members.

Ultimately their feelings for one another (which are never taken all the way) are tested and there are twists and turns that I won't give away so that you can still enjoy the vast majority of the movie, if you so choose to view it. It was on HBO this evening and if you do get a chance, this is a worthwhile film. Violent, dark and a searing view into life in Ireland at the moments on either side of the truce with England. My favorite sub-plot centers on the "rapport" between the two heads of the IRA as they are decpicted with very different agendas and loyalties.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com