Another visit to Ficklin Vinyards (Madera, Calif.)

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

Another visit to Ficklin Vinyards (Madera, Calif.)

Post by Eric Ifune »

While driving down California's central valley, I stopped by Ficklin Vinyards again. One of the oldest producers of port-styled wines in California with vinyards planted in the 1940's. They had three new releases.
Tinta Port - Library release. This apparently is similar to their Old Vine Tinta blend but with 4 years of bottle age. Sort of like a LBV with some bottle age. This has faded considerably. Has almost tawny flavors with caramel and toasted nuts. Quite sweet and long. Very nice. I need to lay down some of their Old Vine which is less than $15.

1986 Vintage. A blend of 40% Tinta Madeira (I still haven't figured what this is), 37% Sauzao, 12% Touriga, 2% Tinta Cao. Bottled June 1988. Quite dark core with a tawny rim. Citrus aromas. A bit roasted. Medium bodied, sweet. Toffee flavors. Some tannins. Quite dissimilar to real Vintage Port but a very, very nice fortified.

20 year old tawny. The second release of this wine. Base wines range from 1984 to 1988. True tawny color. Very rich and long with toffee, grapefruit, and caramel flavors. I think this has become my favorite Californian fortified.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Another visit to Ficklin Vinyards (Madera, Calif.)

Post by Roy Hersh »

Eric,

I am in full agreement that they make the best port-style of wine in CA. Those who point to Quady or other producers are just off the mark. The 20 year old Tawny (which I have only tasted while judging in a CA wine competition) was really a solid contender/pretender. Although Prager also makes a nice tawny style of port, it is 10 year and I don't remember seeing a 20 there, however, the price is outrageous in comparison to even the best/most expensive 20 from Portugal. Ficklin is the star and I don't know of any other CA producer that does such a fine job. Last year I tasted Miller which was pretty darn good, but not quite up to the level of Ficklin which is a no-brainer.

Domestically, I have found only one other producer, Hermanhoff from Augusta, Missouri which can rival the port-style quality of Ficklin.

V. Sattui and their solera madeira style is the only domestic producer that I can enjoy when it comes to emulating the wine from the island. Although different for sure, it does come about 60% of the way towards the real McCoy and the price is reasonable at still under $40.

Do you know the prices of those 3 ports you listed from Ficklin? By the way, if you ever see their 1991 vintage ... grab a bottle or three.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: Another visit to Ficklin Vinyards (Madera, Calif.)

Post by Eric Ifune »

Hi Roy,
The Library Tinta is $26.50/bottle; $21.20 for members of the wine club.
The 1986 is $51.00; $40.80 for members.
The 20 year old tawny is $41.25/half bottle; $33.00 for members.
There is a 10% discount on top of this for any mixed case of 12.
The Old Vine Tinta is $14.99/bottle; $11.99 for members. With 10% off, that's about $10/bottle and a bargin.
The 1991 is still available at $29.99; $23.99 for members; also a bargin.