1996 Landskroon "Cape Vintage Port" South Africa

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1996 Landskroon "Cape Vintage Port" South Africa

Post by Andy Velebil »

This is a South African made "port" It has a T-cork...not a good sign for a vintage port, so I guess it's not made for long term storage. In a cool, old style, short squat bottle with green glass. I picked this up for $20 as I am always curious to try SA "ports."

The color is a meduim ruby with some slight bricking evident. A simple light nose of plums and blueberries doesn't exactly grab me. This is a light bodied port that isn't very complex and is reminds me more of a good basic ruby Port. There is notes of cinnamon, grapes, and light berries on the palate, which are straight forward and simple. The finish is short and drops off quite quickly. Not what I'd consider vintage port material, but its not horrible either, and if you had this blind there is no way you'd tell this isn't from Portugal. 83 points
05/08/08
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Re: 1996 Landskroon "Cape Vintage Port" South Africa

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Reminds me of the Boplaas Cape Vintage Port 2005 from SA .
Fortified , yes , but won't remind you of Portugal .
Also a short finish , quality drops off dramaticaly after 6 hours .
Odor of grapes , secondary odor of Kool-Aid ( grape flavoured ) .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1996 Landskroon "Cape Vintage Port" South Africa

Post by Andy Velebil »

I was rather bummed about this one. I've had other SA "ports" that were much better and honestly, if I would have had them blind probably would not have been able to tell them apart from the real deal. This bottle however was no where near what any "vintage port" should be. Oh well live and learn.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com