Aged Aguardente

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Aged Aguardente

Post by Roy Hersh »

Does anybody here appreciate these high alcohol spirits? I have tried several and they are a bit like sipping on some very fine Tequila or Mezcal. I just wondered if others enjoy this and if so, do they have some favorites to share here?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: Aged Aguardente

Post by Frederick Blais »

Never had any from portuguese grapes, mainly from Italy or cherry stuff from Portugal. While I enjoy some Cognac, Rhum, Scotch, this stuff is just too high in alcohol for me to enjoy it, I need better balance or I haven't yet found the good stuff...
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Frederick,

Clearly you have not tried it, so don't knock it. You missed the keyword = AGED. This is not the same as your typical Aguardente and in fact some examples can be sixty, eighty and even over 100 years old. I typically can't stand the many drinks that are made in similar fashion. However, as shocked as I was ... the old Aguardentes I've tried are very tasty and great for sipping.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I was given some of this fire-water when in Regua a few weeks ago. I have no idea whether or not it was "aged" but it came in a small brown oval shaped bottle and was 70%+ I had a glass of it sitting next to a glass of Leonardo 30 yr old tawny. No contest :wink:

I have also had the dubious pleasure of tasting the neutral Arguadente that they put in port. Don't.

Derek
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... ido#p29055

A local liquor store carries several different Borlido aged Aguardentes. They take some time in the glass to show-off; more so than tequila or congac, but it's a nice drink if you like such spirited drinks. I haven't had much action on the bottle since the picture was taken.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I have never tried any of these (Aged or non). I recall that Moses was kind enough to offer me some of that fine looking bottle and while I was going to take him up on that offer, we got distracted and never came back to that particular bottle. I think we were having FAR too much fun with other bottles that night :wink: :)

I do have a suspicion that I may not be so fond of the aguardente, simply due to the fact that I do not particularly enjoy anything with high alcohol content that is pronounced, however I am always open to trying new things.

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Derek is right and when it comes to the stuff that goes into Port ... don't!

The aged and sometimes flavored Aguardente is a totally different animal and is nowhere near as "toxic."
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Derek T. wrote: I have also had the dubious pleasure of tasting the neutral Aguardente that they put in port. Don't.
The neutral arguadente I use to cook linguica. Put linguica in a shallow dish with Arguardente and light it with flame. The linguica just sizzles away until Arguardente is gone. Great table side presentation.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Having had the "raw" stuff, I agree with Derek and Roy...DON'T

Never had any aged ones. Except on occassion I don't drink many spirits straight up, but I am up for trying almost anything once.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:I am up for trying almost anything once.
Does that include Haggis? :devil:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:
"Almost" is the key word :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Derek T. wrote:
"Almost" is the key word :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sure you will love it :wink: