Port & Wine Mailer Onslaught

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Port & Wine Mailer Onslaught

Post by Roy Hersh »

I don't know about you, but every single day I receive between 30-50 emails from retailers in the USA and UK offering wines that they have available. About 10 of these I have bought from in the past and the rest are from mailing lists sold by other companies or collectors of "cookies."

I am sure that everyone here also gets these in the mail.

How often do you open them up versus hitting the delete button?

How important is the subject line vs. the actual wines listed for sale in terms of capturing your attention?

I need to figure out a better way to get off of some of these lists, but it seems like a serious hassle vs. hitting delete.

Your thoughts?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Port & Wine Mailer Onslaught

Post by Moses Botbol »

I go by vendor and whether they ship to MA. I delete most of them unless they are known to have deals. I get about 5-15 a day too but don't mind so much...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Frederick Blais

Re: Port & Wine Mailer Onslaught

Post by Frederick Blais »

I only receive emails from those I subscribe. I'm not getting unsollicitated email regarding wine business.

In regards to my country, I can't really consider these emails for buying, but mainly for finding wines I'd like to try that I'm not aware of. As wine shop in USA mainly do advertisement on American wines that I'm not fan of, I mainly disregard the email right from reading the subject.

What I don't like about these emails is mainly what I think is the illness of wine ratings. They only send promotions on wines that have good ratings or have been compared to higly rated wines "buy this cab from Napa, according to parker it is the next Latour and it sells for 25$" That kind of pitch is not for me but I agree is good for 99% of their clients.

So basically, I sometimes read them if they have interesting information about a wine appart from ratings.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company