Have you ever dropped a bottle of Port?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Have you ever dropped a bottle of Port?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've only lost one to a "drop" in my cellar. It was painful too, a Mag of 1966 Graham's. Fortunately, somehow ... only the top broke off and I was able to save about 750-800 mls of that Mag. My tasting group was coming over the next night and I figured, what the heck and let them drink it (strained well of course).

So have you been more fortunate or have you been victim of an accident with Port ... or even other wine?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Have you ever dropped a bottle of Port?

Post by Moses Botbol »

A wine merchant dropped a '77 Dow Magnum that I just paid for... Quck refund and nothing to salvage. So sad...

I know someone that dropped a '27 Croft, but not mentioning any names...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Not yet, but I'm sure somewhere down the road it will happen. But I pray that if or when it does happen its just some cheap LBV or the like and not a 1927 Croft.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I dropped one bottle, well not directly my fault. I had a rosewood rack in my wardrobe, but it was not tightly fit so over time it expend as the nail were not strong enough to hold the bottles in the rack. One night I hear a noise of bottles, I rush over to try to get a hand on the bottles slowly on their way to drop. As I grab one, two fell. One Vesuvio 2001 and a half bottle of Auslese. You can easily figure out what happened to the Auslese once the Vesuvio fell on it. The stronger won 8--)
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I've come close! One time I was looking through a collection of port in a portable wine cellar and I had one too many of the racks pulled out and the entire wine cellar tipped over. Basically I needed to push with my entire weight in order to keep everything from falling out and I also tried to block the racks with various body parts to keep them from sliding out. With one hand I was able to remove a few bottles before they fell and then I was able to push the cellar back to a upright position. Whew.....

Marc