TN: 2000 Longshadow Ranch "Ponderosa port" South Coast

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2000 Longshadow Ranch "Ponderosa port" South Coast

Post by Andy Velebil »

A very good friend and former co-worker of mine was doing some wine tasting in the Temecula area of southern California. While not exactly an area known for making good wines he told me he tried several "ports" before finding this one that he actually liked. Now, I must say he is by no means a wine drinker, except for some things that I occasionally shove down his throat, so for him to say he actually liked something enough to buy a bottle for me to try is saying something. So here it goes....

ABV 20%

There is no mention on the bottle or website about what grapes make this up or anything about how it's made for that matter. On opening it is dark brown with redish highlights that is more remincent of a 10 year old tawny than a "vintage port." Wow, that nose has major VA on it, like a Malmsey. I had to double check the label to make sure this was a "port" and not a Madeira. The palate also has a ton of VA on it and has no bearing what-so-ever on being a port. There is some burnt maple, high acidity, no noticable tannins, a light to medium body weight, and a moderate finish. Had I had this blind I would have guessed a simple young Malmsey Madeira. There is absolutely nothing about this that resembles a port. If I had to score this as a "port" I would give it 50 points (as it's nothing like port). However, as a Madeira, this is actually not a bad basic sweet Malmsey and would give it 83 points.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com