Do you miss the movie theater experience?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Do you miss the movie theater experience?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Prices are getting out of control for movies, especially when taking the whole family along. Add the quick turnaround of Blockbuster and DVD in delivering a never ending stream of DVDs and Blu-Ray disks, DVRs, unobstructed views, nobody strangers talking during the film, large HDTV with surround for those that have it, no sticky floors from spilled soda pop and the convenience and savings of not having to drive to watch movies ... and more and more, people are choosing to watch their movies at home ... even when that means never seeing first run films upon release.

So, the trade off on the other side of the coin is ... the popcorn is never as good :D (albeit healthier!) the experience of being "part of an audience" adds more than it subracts (imo) and that big screen can't be beat. Coming attractions are probably a "wash."

So, overall ...
a. Do you miss the movie theater experience or do you still go on occasion?
b. Over the past 5 years ... what would you say is the average number of films you've watched in the movie theater per year?
c. In the past 5 years, what percentage of films do you rent to watch at home vs. go to in a theater?

What is the #1 reason you choose to watch more films at home ... NOT INCLUDING convenience?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Do you miss the movie theater experience?

Post by Andy Velebil »

I rarely go to the movies much these days. Its so much easier to just wait for it to come out on DVD and then watch it at home when I have some down time. Plus I have gotten so tired of inconsiderate people at the movies, talking on cell phones, talking to each other, and bringing crying babies or very little kids to R-rated movies. That last one is a pet peave of mine, very little kids don't belong in certain r-rated movies, such as Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson . Lets be realistic, kids won't understand it and be bored within 15 minutes, then the kid is up running around the theater or playing with whatever computer toy his parents brought him to entertain himself and the parents don't care. :soapbox:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I do miss the experience. Mainly the large grand theaters. I remember the Pacific Cinerama Dome in Los Angeles. It sat 1500 people and had a great sound system. One of the first Dolby systems. Great for the epic films.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I don't miss it at all. I've never really been a theater guy, and there are just too many things about movie theaters that detract from the movie experience for me. People at my office always want to go see new movies at the Cinerama in downtown Seattle because it supposedly has some super-cool ultra-high-tech system, but I just don't see it and I actually don't like the theater.

I'd much rather watch a movie in the comfort of my own home.

I do still go on occasion, but that's mostly for the "going out with friends" experience and not because I want to see that particular movie in a theater. Over the past 5 years I've probably averaged 2 movies per year in the theater among 8-10 movies total. (I'm not a huge movie guy.)

#1 reason to watch at home instead of in a theater? Kids. More specifically, other people's kids. :evil:
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I enjoy going to the cinemas.

I go to about 5-8 movies at the cinema a year. I would go more, but my girlfriend's and my taste in movies can be at odds. I am not one for the Hollywood blockbusters. I prefer the independent/foreign films; partly because the theater that plays them in Cambridge has easier parking and better seats.

Not too much out of Hollywood makes me want to spend $10 a head plus goodies and parking.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I do still go to the movies, probably 6 to 8 times per year. But I can absolutely agree with Roy's opening statement in this thread:
Prices are getting out of control for movies
I took my son to see a movie in London a few months ago. We had been travelling by car and stopped off in Liceister Square, the hub of movie theatres in London. I parked the car, bought two tickets, two hot dogs and 1 coke and we watched the film. By the time we left the car park 2 hours and 15 minutes later my wallet was £80 ($160) lighter than when I walked in :shock:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Derek T. wrote:I took my son to see a movie in London a few months ago. We had been travelling by car and stopped off in Liceister Square, the hub of movie theatres in London. I parked the car, bought two tickets, two hot dogs and 1 coke and we watched the film. By the time we left the car park 2 hours and 15 minutes later my wallet was £80 ($160) lighter than when I walked in :shock:
:shock: Apparently you have to make up for all that cheap Port you have access to! That evening would only be about $50 here in Seattle, and that's even leaving a little wiggle room.
Glenn Elliott
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

I did not go on a regular base, but im planning to buy a monthly ticket for only € 20. For that price i can choose ANY movie i want in 2 theatres. 1 theatre has the big blockbuster movies and the other one the independant movies.
I do however totally agree with Andy about inconsiderate people at the movies. I try to pick the mornings or afternoons instead of the evening shows to avoid them.
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I do miss the experience. Mainly the large grand theaters. I remember the Pacific Cinerama Dome in Los Angeles. It sat 1500 people and had a great sound system. One of the first Dolby systems. Great for the epic films.
Also back then (mid-80's) ticket prices were about $8 and people seemed much better behaved, so I'm definitely looking back with rose colored glasses. That is the experience I miss.
Mike Grammer

Post by Mike Grammer »

#1 reason? it's comfier, I can relax, I don't have any other chattering audience members---and I can pour a glass of wine, port or single malt and add to my enjoyment level! :)

There are still some films (Iron Man, Indiana Jones, Narnia II, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, etc.) that there is truly no substitute for big screen...even preferably IMAX screen. But you can see a lot at home.

The exception to that general rule is film festival, when it's a lot of fun to be there with the other passionate movie buffs.

cheers,
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

We are fortunate here in the Seattle burbs. Even downtown the prices compared to many parts of the country are not too bad. In most theaters, the price of admission is still $8.50 and only in some, has the price crossed the $9 threshhold. I saw a film, The Visitor, while I was visiting my folks in NY back in May and was taken aback when entry was already $10. Double ouch!

The great part about this neck of the woods is that no matter what movie comes out, with the exception of Star Wars (where people camp out in tents to be the first to see it) ... ALL other first run movies, can easily be seen, even the day of release. I grew up in NY and was a very serious film buff .. drilled into me from birth .. and going to a new release meant suffering a 4 hour queue, even the second day the film was out. Here, the only time we ever have actual lines for a movie is during the Seattle International Film Festival, (and you must have tickets in advance to get in that line) although you are guaranteed to get in.

But we saw WALL-E the other night, as Taylor has been hearing they hype for it. A large bucket of popcorn is now up to $7!!! Crazy times.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com