Talking about "Best Picture" hype ... WALL-E

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Talking about "Best Picture" hype ... WALL-E

Post by Roy Hersh »

I could not believe that folks are talking about the very last kids movie has having enough mass appeal to be considered for an Oscar nod for of all things, BEST PICTURE. I realize I am not your typical movie fan, but BEST PICTURE for WALL-E?

WALL-E is cute and a solid kids flick, don't get me wrong ... but even the best kids flick I've ever seen, does not deserve to be a BEST PICTURE. So where are critics and citizens alike, getting this odd notion that this particular Pixar & Disney collaboration is deserving of such an honor?

My wife and 5.5 year old went last Monday expecting it to be very easy to walk in 10 minutes before the film. On a MONDAY night, we were forced to sit in the 3rd row and I must say, I was absolutely taken aback and amazed to see that. The theater is a half hour or more outside of Seattle, no less.

Anyway, I liked Kung Fu Panda better, my daughter liked WALL-E better and my wife still raves of Ratatouille. That said, I can't for the life of me picture this up there as a BEST Of choice. Then again, as much as I enjoyed Juno last year, I did not understand that as a Big 5, either (and it was my favorite of all selected in the category).

Sad to see some of the crap coming out of Hollywood these days. Without knowing anything about it, my wife rented I AM LEGEND and we watched it earlier this week. Jeez, was that weak and she said it received great ratings! Who are these people?

Back to WALL-E though. The adults were out-laughing their kids the other night, although there was plenty of noise out of the little ones too. I enjoyed the social commentary and the messages were sound, but certainly not new (give me Soylent Green). I understand some of the complexity to this and felt that more than an homage to many other films, it was an intentional rip off, but maybe I'm jaded. WALL-E is light hearted good fun and more impressive on a visual level then on a visceral one. Lots of faux pas in this for those unable to forgive carelessness in creation or suspend their belief systems for the duration.

I found the humor, message(s) and overall appeal more compelling in Kung Fu Panda which had me laughing out loud, which I rarely do at a kids movie.

B+ and enjoyable, popcorn a must.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: Talking about "Best Picture" hype ... WALL-E

Post by Eric Ifune »

but even the best kids flick I've ever seen, does not deserve to be a BEST PICTURE
How about some of the classsic Disney films, i.e. Fantasia?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Fantasia is certainly a classic. I remember my parents taking me at Christmas time one year to see it at Radio City Music Hall on a huge screen (long before IMAX came along). A great memory actually and there were some scary parts. I've seen it a few times since, and consider it a masterpiece ... but although something like that should get an award for Best Animated Film, no way BEST PICTURE, in my opinion.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote:
but even the best kids flick I've ever seen, does not deserve to be a BEST PICTURE
How about some of the classsic Disney films, i.e. Fantasia?
When I can't tell the difference between an animated film and a live action film, then and only then will I accept the notion that an animated film can be in the running for Best Picture.

While voice acting presents its own set of challenges, it is in no way as difficult as acting. Score one for live film.

The storytelling between the two is equally difficult - a good story is a good story (and is apparently hard to find these days). No advantage here.

Directing a live film is also more difficult than directing an animated film. You are constrained by the abilities of the actors (and/or their egos), and while CG animators are also constrained by their abilities it is more often the case that you're constrained by technology. Technological constraints seem to be automatically forgiven, but directors are expected to overcome the egos of their actors. Score another for live film.

The Academy felt the need to add a category for Best Animated Film. That, by itself, tells me that they don't believe the two can be judged against each other. This isn't really a point either way other than to point out that the experts themselves believe they should be judged separately.

Editing is a probably a wash, though editing of live film is somewhat more constrained that animated films. It is at least theoretically easier to make a slight alteration to an animated scene than to a live scene.

Sound is also probably a wash since both animation and live action can easily use dubbing to fix problems, and both (probably) use similar technology.

Cinematography, unless I misunderstand the category, doesn't exist in an animated film. There are no cameras. (I don't buy the idea that camera angle used in 3D animation is anywhere near as difficult as actual cinematography.) Another point for live film.

So... unless all of the live action films in a given year were absolute trash and some animated film was in all respects perfect, I just can't see an animated film even being nominated for Best Picture. They exist at a much lower level from an awards perspective.
Glenn Elliott
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I can't believe I missed this thread, but I will happily resurrect it here in the Other Discussions forum! ;)

I took my two eldest kids to see this movie and I couldn't actually believe you could hold the attention spans of a 3- and 5-yr old for almost an hour and a half with very few words. Wall-E managed that. It was well-made and beautifully animated.

However, it does not deserve an Oscar.

Maybe by the same standards which some actors and actresses are "deserving" of Academy Award these days, it will have a chance, but Best Picture? Come on! Good? Sure, Great? No. :Naughty:

If critics are really seriously discussing Best Picture for this movie, I simply have one word: payoff. But that is me and I am pretty jaded with the movie industry. I used to work right inside it. Not in the Hollywood/production side, but as a manager of three theater complexes. One of the things that amazed me was the guy who was doing movie reviews would show up with his review half filled out and only needed to fill in a few "film-specific" details. Sometimes, he wouldn't even stay to the end of the movie.

And these are the peopel rating/voting for the Academy Awards? :S :snooty: