What was the first and what was the best ... : )

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What was the first and what was the best ... : )

Post by Roy Hersh »

... rock and roll concert that you ever attended?

a. First - year? group? special memory?

a. Best - year? group? special memory?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: What was the first and what was the best ... : )

Post by Frederick Blais »

Probably Ozzy Osborne 1995 Ozzfest, his first tour and only stop he did for Ozzfest in Montreal was my first show

Then in 1996, his guitarist Zakk Wylde did give a free show in Montreal for a promotion of Book Of Shawdows. One of my top 3 album and I was able to meet the legen of rock and roll plus he signed me the set list!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

First:
Simple Minds in 1989. I wasnt even a fan of them and knew only 2 songs but the experience was great and never forgotten.

ex aequo:
Rolling Stones in my town (Groningen), June 2nd 1999. For 75.000 people and a heavy rain, hail and thunderstorm at the beginning was this a great experience. It lasted more then 2 hours.

U2, august 31 1997 in Dublin. I was living and working in Dublin at that time and U2 played on Lansdowne Road stadium after almost a decade of not playing in Ireland. Anyway, the concert was magnificent. The crowd went berserk when they sung "Molly Malone" with U2 :D
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

First: KISS, 1976, Omaha Nebraska. I was 12 and it was a real treat. My Mom and my friend's Mom waited outside in the parking lot for us because they couldn't stand to be inside - it was too loud for them. :lol:

Best: if not that Kiss concert, it would have to be Styx and Kansas at the Gorge a few years ago. Styx has always been one of my favorite groups, and pairing them up with Kansas just made the concert that much better. It was also a PERFECT evening, and as the sun set the band stopped and commented on just how beautiful the whole setting was.
Glenn Elliott
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

1st - Gun's and Roses, Lisbon, 1992

Best - Metallica, Lisbon, 2004
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1st - Black Flag 1985 at the Living Room in Providence, RI

Best - Barry White with Earth Wind & Fire at Boston Garden 2000. Run-DMC in 1988 was also one of the best concerts I have ever seen.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1st - 1992 Lallapalooza was the first real concert I went to, and I've never stopped going to concerts after that one. With the Red Hot Chili Peppers lighting the stage on fire at the end of their set, to Pearl Jam (who then wasn't widely known yet), The Jesus and Mary Chain, Ice Cube, Stone Temple Pilots (on a side stage if IIRC). And who could forget the Jim Rose Circus Side Show - If you've seen it, you'll never forget it.

Best - 1994 Pink Floyd at the Rose Bowl for their "Division Bell Tour" Ask me in person some day and I'll tell you the reason.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I haven't been to many and can't even remember what the first one was.

I do however have a candidate for "What is the best rock concert you could have gone to but didn't?"

In around 1983 Queen played an open air concert at Celtic Park in Glasgow. The stadium has a capacity fo around 80,000, I'm not sure how many were there but the place must have been jumping as good old Freddie & Co churned out all their hits at the peak of their career.

I had a ticket but didn't go because I got a date with the sexiest young typist in the office. The date was an absolute washout and I have regretted not going to the concert ever since :wall:
:stupid:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Derek T. wrote:In around 1983 Queen played an open air concert at Celtic Park in Glasgow.
I had a ticket but didn't go because I got a date with the sexiest young typist in the office.
:shock:

She better have been Angelina Jolie's identical twin, or you better have been drunk when you made the choice, because that's just ...

Words fail me.

:Naughty:

Never speak of this again!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I realize that some here like Stewart were not even born when I went to my first rock concert which was:

1973 Moody Blues in Madison Square Garden, NYC

The best was with over a half million people in Central Park, NYC in 1981 - Simon & Garfunkel - their first time playing together in many years and this was a very peaceful and moving concert. A wild happening in NYC. The next day, my brother and I moved to CO to become ski bums, working at Copper Mtn.

Although that was rivaled Halloween 1977 - Frank Zappa's Halloween late night show at the Palladium, NYC
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Don't remember my first. Probably in the mid-70's during the early punk days in Los Angeles Chinatown.
Best was probably Rock am Ring, a multiday festival at the storied Nurburgring race course in Germany in the mid-90's. I was with a large group of friends, it was raining, everyone was dancing in the mud with people from all over the world.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I know this sounds lame, but I went to see George Michael last night and it was one of the best performances I have ever seen. His vocals, the band, and stage imagery was just out of this world.

Wake me up before I go go...

George said at the show, "I know it's difficult for single guys to admit their GM fans..."
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses,
I'm not saying anything :devil:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:Moses,
I'm not saying anything :devil:
No, I did not wear any feathers... :Naughty:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I know this sounds lame, but I went to see George Michael last night and it was one of the best performances I have ever seen. His vocals, the band, and stage imagery was just out of this world.
Oh, that explains it. :shock:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Moses Botbol wrote:I know this sounds lame, but I went to see George Michael last night and it was one of the best performances I have ever seen. His vocals, the band, and stage imagery was just out of this world.

Wake me up before I go go...

George said at the show, "I know it's difficult for single guys to admit their GM fans..."
Moses, don't feel too bad...one of my first ever concerts was Gary Glitter at the SSEC in Glasgow. If you've never heard of him, just google "Gary 'The Peadophile' Giltter" on someone elses computer :? - at the time I went to see him (all 6 years in a row) he was just considered good fun. Not long after I stopped going along on nthe annual office outing to his Christmas concerts he was jailed for having sex with children. He makes GM look rather normal :shock:
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

First: Cheap Trick...not sure of the year, but it was the "live at Budokan" tour.

Best: So many choices, but it was probably Buddy Guy, at Willepski's Blues Saloon in St. Paul MN.

Other favorites have been the Ramones (to many times to count, and all of them great), all at bars, A double header Run DMC with Public Enemy at First Avenue (another bar) in Minneapolis, early Chili Peppers in bars.

Last year I wandered into SF and saw Gwar for their "return from hell" tour...an awsome show! Again at a bar, although the largest one I'v been to. More of a theater with drinks.

I'm not much for arena shows, but apparently I like bars a lot :roll:

Jay
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jay Powers wrote:
I'm not much for arena shows, but apparently I like bars a lot :roll:

Jay
Jay,
Me too. I hate arena shows and avoid at all costs if I can. I love the smaller venues, and since one of my best friends works at a radio station here in LA, I get backstage passes to many shows...a major plus.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

To follow up on both Derek's and Andy's comments (arena shows, girls, and regrets), probably the worst concert I have ever been to was in an arena, Duran Duran, which I went to only because a girl I was interested in wanted to go. I then spent a couple of hours sitting with my date immediatly in front of a gaggle of 11-13 year old female fans screaming at the top of their lungs in that horrible high-pitched scream that only they can perform, before they loose that ability forever, and right in my ears. It was quite painful!

Jay
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jay,
that is what alcohol is for...LOTS of alcohol to ease the pain :lol: :lol: