Summertime Blues - mostly a wasted movie season!

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Summertime Blues - mostly a wasted movie season!

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have seen just one movie all summer that I can even consider something to recommend and even this one will have a limited number of fans. The Dark Knight -the first of the Christian Bale portraying Batman sequels, is out and was actually quite well done if you like the comic book genre ... both DC and Marvel have been on a tear ... which I am typically not enthralled with. However, Bale and cast provide quite solid performances with dialogue that fits and enough cohesion to captivate one's attention span.

The rest of the films I've seen are ALL forgettable.

Has anyone else seen anything else that was worthy since Memorial Day (end of May)? If so, please do share!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Summertime Blues - mostly a wasted movie season!

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote: The Dark Knight -the first of the Christian Bale portraying Batman sequels,
Its actually Bale's second Batman movie, the first being Batman Begins. And that is the only movie I have seen this summer. Nothing has really caught my eye this summer, or this year for that matter. Hopefully better movies come out later this year.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

If you read this closer, you'll see I said his first "sequel." :salute:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thought they all were sequels of some sort. Is there more slated in the future with Bale?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've heard "Man on a Wire" is pretty good. Haven't seen it yet myself however.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Last night, my wife and I had a date and went to see a very fine French film called, "Tell no one" which was a great 'whodunnit' with a fine performance by Kristin Scott-Thomas who spoke flawless French (but then again, she was married to a French doctor until a couple of years ago). Really fine quality movie and I had never heard of it, but my wife picked this one out.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Altough I enjoy a "great" movie now and then, my love for zombie movies has been sorely tested by absence this summer. Lots to see on video, but mostly not good. Romero's Diary of the Dead was nice, but that shakey cam makes me nauseous and it took me a couple of nights to watch it.

For those fans of horror out there (if there are any), a couple of the best recent horror movies (both on DVD) I have seen have both been French: High Tension and Frontier(s). Very well done, very gory, and very off the beaten path.

Since my only free time is later in the evening, most of my recent movie watching experience comes from ordering videos online. I think I may have to start a "zombie movie" thread, and see what anyone else can suggest that I have not already seen.

Jay
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A Guide of Recognizing Your Saints - is a film I watched last week which depicts a Queens, NY upbringing that was quite different than my own. However, I know the area and typically had no reason to go there. But the movie is quite well done.

Then last night, I watched one of my favorite all time French actresses, in a movie called NATHALIE. Fabulous and for any fan of Emmanuelle Béart. Also starring Gérard Depardieu who did a very fine job in this. I might just have to buy this film or at least rent it to show my brother during Thanksgiving. 8--)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Jay Powers wrote:Altough I enjoy a "great" movie now and then, my love for zombie movies has been sorely tested by absence this summer. Lots to see on video, but mostly not good. Romero's Diary of the Dead was nice, but that shakey cam makes me nauseous and it took me a couple of nights to watch it.
I like horror movies as well. Romero is a master! Have you seen "Cabin Fever"? That movie is one of the best ever! Sheer genious that director Eli Roth (grew up near the next town over from me), created this film without using background music or dark lighting, yet was totally scary!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Blades of Glory. I never saw this in the theater but lately its been playing regularly on cable in my area. No matter how many times I've seen it, it cracks me up. A totally stupid movie, yet I can't help laughing at all the stupid stuff they do it.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Jay Powers wrote:Altough I enjoy a "great" movie now and then, my love for zombie movies has been sorely tested by absence this summer. Lots to see on video, but mostly not good. Romero's Diary of the Dead was nice, but that shakey cam makes me nauseous and it took me a couple of nights to watch it.
I like horror movies as well. Romero is a master! Have you seen "Cabin Fever"? That movie is one of the best ever! Sheer genious that director Eli Roth (grew up near the next town over from me), created this film without using background music or dark lighting, yet was totally scary!
I have not seen or heard of it. I'll try and find a copy...I'm always looking for a good horror movie!

Jay
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I did watch the Black Knight and Iron Man... both Comics movie and I had more fun from the later. Sometimes patriotic, sometimes citically againts its country, it shows a reality that bites us all. Downey Junior acting was precise and refreshing; quite mirror like compared to the comics book.

For Batman, too much turn overs that don't stand the road when you start to really think about the story line. A good fun all in all of course, the Joker performance in the jail was great but nothing that could earn the boy an Oscar if it was just of me. I hope people are not just gonna try to get the lights on them to give him an Oscar because he is death. Please be professionnal for your votes.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy Hersh wrote:I have seen just one movie all summer that I can even consider something to recommend and even this one will have a limited number of fans. The Dark Knight -the first of the Christian Bale portraying Batman sequels, is out and was actually quite well done if you like the comic book genre ... both DC and Marvel have been on a tear ... which I am typically not enthralled with. However, Bale and cast provide quite solid performances with dialogue that fits and enough cohesion to captivate one's attention span.
I just saw this movie recently (yes, with three kids, it is TOUGH to get away for a 2½ hour movie and dinner) but what a great flick! I thought it was intense, dark and well-acted.

I have heard rumblings of critics suggesting that Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker is worthy of an Oscar. I don't really claim to know squat about the way the Academy Awards are chosen nowadays, but his performance was certainly better than some "best supporting actor" winners in recent years and indeed, IMHO, better than some of the performances that have won "best actor" statues.

What really impressed me was the darkness of the flick. Ledger's Joker was pure, unadulterated evil in a malicious, yet whimsical method. He says it best with the line "I'm an engine of chaos."

With stunning special effects in parts, humour in just the right quantities, a great story (for a "comic series" character, this is quite a compliment, coming from me!) and great drama, suspense, action and cinematic elements, I thought The Dark Knight was a flick worthy of my hard-earned cash (a rarity these days) and sat through the entire 154 mins, not wanting to move a muscle, despite having to pee like a racehorse by the end. :?

Christian Bale may not be the best actor, and it seems like when he puts on the Batsuit he develops a speech impediment that is distracting, puzzling and annoying, but he does a great job as Batman and this series is doing DC comics and the Batman franchise a favour by helping to wipe from my mind, the absolute horrid drek that was the last four Batman movies (with Keenan, Kilmer and Clooney as the Caped Crusader.)